Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advice on changing brakes and rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 08:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
advice on changing brakes and rotors

I need to have brakes and rotors replaced on my 00 S500. I got a quote from a dealer and from an independent mechanic where I have had a alot of work done on my other cars and very trustworthy.

The price difference between the 2 places is ~$400. I have had brakes changed by him on my other cars but I'm not sure if there is anything complicated in S500 in it's braking system which he may not be aware of such as something computerized or linked to something complicated .

Would you recommend getting it done at a dealer since they have worked on these cars and are totally familiar with the system? Or is changing the brakes on this car pritty much the same as any other car?
Old 03-11-2006, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
Changing brake pads and rotors remain quite simple. Fixed calipers, which I believe you have at all 4 corners, are the simplest. Changing the pads does not require removing a bolt in most fixed caliper designs. Changing the rotors may be a little trickier. I'm not familiar with your 00 S500, but if removing the rotor involves front bearing work - make sure the dealer and independent follow the torque procedure for seating the bearings when reinstalling the rotors. There is a posting on the W126 board about not following the spec and trouble resulting.

If there is no bearing work involved - simply a set screw (if even) will allow the rotor to be removed independent of the hub, scrub the surfaces clean, put on new rotor, mount caliper/pads, done.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no bearing work involved when replacing rotors on your 00 S500.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
There isn't any bearing work involved. So it seems like a simple replacement for breaks and rotors like of any other car.