Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'02 CLK430 Cab transmission troubles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '02 CLK430 Cab transmission troubles

I have read most all the posts here on different transmission problems. I have some similar and not similar symptoms. I would appreciate your patience and expertise in either helping me or pointing me in the right direction. Most of the linked threads are to the M-Class troubles. Anyhow,
for my problem. I too am having the auto-transmission stick in gear. It happens usually in second, but has happened in 3rd. It happens most when the selector is in drive, but also occurs in manual mode. It usually only happens when it is cold, and once the car warms up it usually runs fine. However, it has occurred a few times while warm when I rev the engine to pass or just get that feeling to go fast. I have never spilled anything into
the gear shifter box. I do not get any check engine lights or sensor lights. I do however have to pull over, turn off the car and restart. This is not how a MB should behave. It is not what I would consider safe, for me, passengers or the car. I know others have the same issue. I have just over 50K, so my warranty is gone. I would like to have some info, so when I take it to get serviced, I don't get screwed. Please help!!
Old 03-15-2006, 02:02 PM

1999 E55 AMG
I recently had similar problems with my '99 E55. When it was cold the transmission would not shift from first to second and after it warmed up it ran fine. Eventually the problem started happening even when it was warm. I found that if the light illuminating the shift pattern gear didn't light up (i.e. D,1,2,3), that's when the problem happened. If the light did illuminate the gear I had it in, it ran fine. I had to turn my lights on to verify this each time which was a real pain. The dealer diagnosed it as a bad shifter and replaced the entire unit. I've also heard of various sensors on the transmission going bad and causing similar problems.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:34 AM

Thanks

Just wanted a heads up before taking it in. Wanted to have a little knowledge before they asked for my 1st born and all my worldly possesions.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2006, 12:10 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by nortonian
I have read most all the posts here on different transmission problems. I have some similar and not similar symptoms. I would appreciate your patience and expertise in either helping me or pointing me in the right direction. Most of the linked threads are to the M-Class troubles. Anyhow,
for my problem. I too am having the auto-transmission stick in gear. It happens usually in second, but has happened in 3rd. It happens most when the selector is in drive, but also occurs in manual mode. It usually only happens when it is cold, and once the car warms up it usually runs fine. However, it has occurred a few times while warm when I rev the engine to pass or just get that feeling to go fast. I have never spilled anything into
the gear shifter box. I do not get any check engine lights or sensor lights. I do however have to pull over, turn off the car and restart. This is not how a MB should behave. It is not what I would consider safe, for me, passengers or the car. I know others have the same issue. I have just over 50K, so my warranty is gone. I would like to have some info, so when I take it to get serviced, I don't get screwed. Please help!!
There is a well known issue where the radiator, Valeo brand, leaks coolant into the transmission causing trans issues? Pop your hood and look an top of the radiator for a little white tag(you may have to wipe it clean), see if it says Valeo and look for the country of manufacter then get back to me.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:15 PM

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
S 63 Coupe, GLS 63
NO

The radiator issue is on '03 and newer cars
Old 03-23-2006, 12:23 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by TECHNICIAN
NO

The radiator issue is on '03 and newer cars
Not even on late 02's?

Hey, any ideas for my ac compressor noise, see the thread below.

Thanks