Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD code P0170 fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBD code P0170 fix

I have had a reoccurring Check engine light and only one code stored. P0170
I have the complete list of OBD II codes. I was told that I had to replace the Mass airflow sensor. I argued with the dealer that if the MAS was bad, the code will read P0171. (as per my list) P0170 indicates a lean mix caused by the intake tract.) Loose hose clamps, cracks in the ducting will cause this. So will a dirty MAS.
So.. I cleaned the MAS. I looked at electrical contact cleaners to find one that dries residue free. (VERY IMPORTANT!!) I took the MAS out of the intake ducting and sprayed the contact cleaner on the elements (2 very thin wires) of the MAS. I sprayed from both directions. The tiny wires went from gray to shiny silver. I let it airdry for 10 minutes while I diconnected the battery to reset the codes.
Anyone who has used a K&N or any cloth/ oil airfilter, will get this often. Due to atomized oil collecting on the wires of the MAS.
I reinstalled the MAS and started up the car. It stumbled for a few seconds, then cleared up. This was a week ago, and the light has not come back on.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Be a good thing to sh*tcan the K&N.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:06 PM

No not necessarily. Just now you'll have a fix for the code caused by the oil on the wires. I know of someone that had to buy an MAS because of it. Seems he didn't need to after all.
Happy motoring all!

Originally Posted by lkchris
Be a good thing to sh*tcan the K&N.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:16 PM

1983 300sd
Originally Posted by Tim Timko
No not necessarily. Just now you'll have a fix for the code caused by the oil on the wires. I know of someone that had to buy an MAS because of it. Seems he didn't need to after all.
Happy motoring all!
i would have to agree with sh*t canning the k&n. not only does it cause you problems but it will cause the engine to wear faster(less particulate)
Old 03-24-2006, 07:37 AM

Thats why i run paper filters. They say a K&N is good for a million miles. But age is the big killer of these things. The cloth breaks down over time.