Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 300se after head job

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 300se after head job

1989 300se

170k on engine

I am finding oil around the top of area around injectors after a recent head job. This is a gasoline engine. The car runs perfectly. I had a lose plug and bolts holding exhaust manifold after work was done. I fixed the problems. Could the oil leak on top of head near intake be from something else not being tight or blowby. How can I tell. The plugs look clean. If it is blowby would this show in a compression test as I can do this easily enough. The shop is 250 miles away.

I am not happy after the quality work done. This was done by a shop that only deals with Benz Cars.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Certainly could be blow by. The head work that you had done is not related to this as blow by is usually worn rings, specifcally the oil control rings. Pull the plugs and see it they are contaminated by oil or oily carbon. When you do a major repair on an engine that has that number of miles on it without doing the entire engine including re ringing re surfacing the cylinders and even the bottom end you can expect these sort of problems afterwards. It would have been best to do the entire engine.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:43 PM

Plugs are fine

plugs are clean. the head had a water leakto rear of head leaking outward near rear of engine between plug 6 and back of motor. Small etching from water port to outward edge of head. Very small etching.
Head was repaired resurfaced. Compression was perfect and still is before and after the head job.

I know the best would have been to re ring but the 30 year dealer tech advised against it. I wanted to go all the way. He advised against it.

I will check on new long block. I am attached to the car I guess.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:45 AM

Oil was way overfilled by National Oil Change Franchise

I checked oil level and it had 1.5 quarts to much oil. I drained it out and solved the problem. I am in disbelief this could happen. I feel relieved. Hope this did not cause further damage. Time will tell.

jimsmarr@austin.rr.com