Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Memory settings and Right Rear View Mirror

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Formerly 2000 CLK430, 2001 S430
Memory settings and Right Rear View Mirror

Hi Techs, maybe you can help me. I recently purchased a 2001 S430.

My wife is the primary driver, memory setting 1, I have memory setting 2. When she lets me drive on weekends, I open the door and hold down memory setting 2, the seat moves all the way back like the "E" setting (she is shorter than I am). I discovered if I press setting 2 for a bit until I can get in and release button 2, and insert the key in the ignition, I can continue to press setting 2 again, the seat goes to my memory setting. My wife doesn't have any problems when she presses 1 to get in without the key inserted. Is this the way the memory seats functions? If not, can you advise?

I had preset the right outside mirror to lower and show the curb when backing (like my 2000 CLK430). It does not always return for both of us.
Are these related? Something to replace, lubricate or clean?

Something off the tech side. The cup holders are on the middle console, up high. Is there an add-on or adapter for a cup holder that can be located forward near the shift, like the pop-up CLK?

Thanks for your help. Great Forum!
Old 04-08-2006, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by gman.too
It does not always return for both of us.
Different model but have the same problem but only with the mirror. I am almost a foot taller than my wife. I was told, and read, that the seating/mirror/steering wheel memory is insufficient to hold all the key settings if there is a big difference in height with the drivers. Don't have any reason to not believe that and have learned to live with it. I went through a lot of keys early in the car's life....I wonder if that's what causes the memory to fill up, and it wasn't cleared as each new key set was added
Old 04-09-2006, 03:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 E350 Wagon
I'm having the same problem with my mirror (01 E320) but I don't believe it's related to your memory issue. as for mleskovar, while he has a different model, I don't think his mirror issue is due to memory filling up. it seems to me the amount of space a memory setting would take is not something that would change, so when the designers put the car together, they would allocate enough memory for a specific function to work. What I've noticed with mine is that when the mirror is recovering from the tilt, it doesn't recover all the way. if I press my seat memory button, it'll hesitantly stagger its way back into the correct position. I believe there's a lubrication problem somewhere.

the way I've noticed my memory seats to work: you can change the seat settings to whatever programmed setting as long as: (1) one or both of the front doors are open (haven't tested with the rear doors open and the front doors closed) and/or (2) the key is in the ignition in the on position. The memory settings absolutely will not work if the doors are all closed and the key is not in the ignition. YMMV
Old 04-12-2006, 01:22 AM

Gear Shift Knob

Need some help again.
1) I was unsuccessful in searching for instructions to remove the gear shift knob to my 2001 S430. Please advised, must be simple, but not for me.
2) Options are Burl, Chestnut and Calyptus wood. How can I find what wood is my S430 has in the interior. I was planning on ordering if I can figure out how to remove the knob.

Thank in advance.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 E350 Wagon
gman, since the shifter is a separate issue, you might have better luck getting responses if you started a new thread
Old 04-14-2006, 01:28 AM

Thanks purplegrog. Good idea, I will next time. I got my answer to my questions.
Twist bottom ring and lift to remove knob.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by gman.too
Hi Techs, maybe you can help me. I recently purchased a 2001 S430.

My wife is the primary driver, memory setting 1, I have memory setting 2. When she lets me drive on weekends, I open the door and hold down memory setting 2, the seat moves all the way back like the "E" setting (she is shorter than I am). I discovered if I press setting 2 for a bit until I can get in and release button 2, and insert the key in the ignition, I can continue to press setting 2 again, the seat goes to my memory setting. My wife doesn't have any problems when she presses 1 to get in without the key inserted. Is this the way the memory seats functions? If not, can you advise?

I had preset the right outside mirror to lower and show the curb when backing (like my 2000 CLK430). It does not always return for both of us.
Are these related? Something to replace, lubricate or clean?

Something off the tech side. The cup holders are on the middle console, up high. Is there an add-on or adapter for a cup holder that can be located forward near the shift, like the pop-up CLK?

Thanks for your help. Great Forum!
Why dont you get key dependence activated, or set the cluster setting to YES in the preferences area. That way when you unlock the car the seats are already moving into position before you get into the car.

The seats always move with the door open.