Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I overhaul 380SL engine @140,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I overhaul 380SL engine @140,000 miles?

Did not have any problems with engine apart from a worn camshaft, which is now replaced. However, in the course of restoration, I have the engine mostly in pieces (down to cyl block, sump and heads assembled) and am debating whether I should leave well alone or proceed to overhaul the engine.

What is the general consensus on this?

Once done, the car won't be used much, but would not wish to have to take it out 10k miles down the line and regret not doing what needs to be done, now. On the other hand, if from experience one would say that 200,000 miles is well within reach before a re-bore becomes necessary, then I'd leave well alone.

Does anyone have experience of pulling apart an engine at this sort of mileage, (140,000) and can comment on the general state of what is found, ie wear levels?

Else what is recommended to be done at this stage if a heads-off is not required? I have tested the injectors and the testing garage report that the spray pattern is somewhat poor on 5 out of 8 injectors. I also would wish to replace the valve stem oil seals, and am hoping this will be possible using air pressure via a compressor, to keep the valves up without having to take the heads off.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Ron