Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W210 rear window problem - E55AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
W210 rear window problem - E55AMG

Have a 2001 E55 AMG, W210 series I believe. Today, I rolled down the left rear passenger window, and then it would not come back up. I called a local shop and they tell me it's most likely the regulator, which run about $122. Labor is $150 or $170, I forget. I then went out to the garage to roll down the right passenger window to see if it went as far down as the left one had, and it also failed in the down position.

I called the shop back up, and he says I most likely have two bad regulators. I am not all that clear on his description, but basically, these things will nearly come apart after a few years, with the bumps and vibration of normal driving, and then the one time you actually use the window, the regulator completely blows out.

I am going to take it into Fletcher Jones in the morning, and have them look at it. I am going to keep my hopes up that it's not the regulator, and there is some sort of lock or gizmo that might just need resetting.

What a crappy design. If I have indeed just shot out 2 window regulators, that is $600 wasted. I don't even know if my Mercedes Extended warranty would cover this item.

Any window experts out there?
Old 05-02-2006, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 ML350, 85 300D
It is the regulators- they are rather cheaply built.

Should be covered by your warranty though!!
Old 05-03-2006, 02:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Thanks! Took it in today, and yes, my Extended Warranty covered the repair. Could not get much info from the Service advisor.

Really was a personal security issue, that I did not enjoy, having to drive around with both rear windows stuck down.