Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ml55 Nightmare!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ml55 Nightmare!

also posted in ML55 section:

Has anyone heard of this - I am losing my mind with this car!

2000 ML55 w/ 65K miles. Car started stalling, brought in for service and had crankshaft sensor replaced. Problem came back with increasing frequency. Then MB replaced stop lamp switch, which was the only code that came up, which did not fix the problem. Then MB tells me that the transmission somehow leaked and fluid got in to the main wiring harness and all the way to the ECM. Thankfully, I bought an extended warranty from AAA, the repair was $9K. MB was actually great about working w/ AAA and coordinating the repair. BUT after weeks without the car (the ECM had to come from Germany), THE SAME PROBLEM IS BACK! The car is back at MB. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? It's making me nuts!
Old 05-02-2006, 05:59 PM

1995 c220 auto
Sorry to hear about your problems, the only other thing I could suggest that causes intermittent stalling is the OVP or overload relay, a tall silver relay housed in the same compartment as the Ecu modules, it has 2-fuses on top which if blown can cause stalling and other problems. The relay can also break down internally and cause the same symptoms. This fault does not show up on diagnostic tests and is therefore missed by dealers. Easy and cheap part to replace if faulty.
Hope this helps , Geo.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:03 PM

05 ML350, 85 300D
Hmmm....

The two most common problems with MLs stalling are the crank sensor and the fuel pump- which won't leave a code anyway. Is this hot/cold ? At lights? Driving?

The stop light switch can't make the car stall. Also, the leak is a common problem- however it only migrates to the transmission control unit- not the engine ECU, so I've never seen one make the car stall. The reason the car was down for weeks (and cost 9K) was that they replaced the whole harness, rather than clean it like MB suggests. I'm guessing, but I got 2 of these trans modules last week the nest day- and that harness is the whole car from the cowl back!!

You didn;t say where you are in the country, maybe another shop would be the best answer...
Old 05-02-2006, 06:04 PM

05 ML350, 85 300D
Originally Posted by shandy2550
Sorry to hear about your problems, the only other thing I could suggest that causes intermittent stalling is the OVP or overload relay, a tall silver relay housed in the same compartment as the Ecu modules, it has 2-fuses on top which if blown can cause stalling and other problems. The relay can also break down internally and cause the same symptoms. This fault does not show up on diagnostic tests and is therefore missed by dealers. Easy and cheap part to replace if faulty.
Hope this helps , Geo.

You don;t have one of these on your ML.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the quick responses. The car is in Massachusetts, maybe it was the trans. unit that they replaced. The stalling seems to be mostly when the car is warm, and usually when decelerating. When I put it in neutral and start it back up and thenput it back indrive, it revs like the car is still in neutral and then the transmission seems to catch. Is there a way they can check the fuel pump somehow?Any advice is greatly appreciated...

Last edited by gkp1; 05-02-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:56 PM

05 ML350, 85 300D
If it starts right back up, its not the fuel pump, or the crank sensor in my experience.
Here's what it sounds like to me- the EGR is slow closing, so when you decel, it stalls the engine out. They could check that, possibly cleaning or replacing it. As well, there is an idle speed adjustment on this engine/truck done through the SDS - if they increase the base setting, that helps with these issues as well. I've found the best setting around 30 rpm off base.

Last edited by MBTech21; 05-03-2006 at 04:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-03-2006, 07:40 PM

Thanks. What is the EGR? Do you think the transmission issue is normal when starting in neutral w/the car moving? (when put in drive, trans does notengage right away, engine only revs). Prior to the big service they just did, it stalled at idle and during normal highway driving. Would an EGR issue cause that?
Old 05-26-2006, 10:03 AM

Well, the latest is they believe the ME module is bad. Does that sound plausible?