Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive light bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320 Sport
Excessive light bulb replacement

For the 4 years that I've owned my '01 C-320, I've averaged getting the bulbs replaced 2-3 times every other month, per warnings on the instrument panel as malfunction prompts. Occasionally, and repeatedly, the convenience seat settings on the driver's seat and the downward tilt feature of the passenger side rear view mirror do not work. I brought this to the attention of the MB dealership while under warranty a number of times, but service manager told me it just happens! Everything else on the car is great; I love the car otherwise. Until now, this has been just an inconvenience and a minor cost, since warrantly expired a year ago, and I lived 10 minutes from the dealership in San Diego. Now, I'm almost a hour's drive from one, and had to have my car towed over the weekend due to escalating malfunction lights on the panel, including "under voltage", "alternator"--6 malf. codes in all. Is the light bulb issue masking another problem, which seemingly cannot be detected, and could it be related to this latest problem? I had 2 malfunction indicators for the past 2-3 months, but just ignored them, since I still had headlights.
I would appreciate any input that you may have; the only suggestion that I've received from a non MB tech was that it seemed to indicate some type of electrical surge process, which could burn out the bulbs on a frequent basis. Dealership here has the car now, and has not finalized any assessment yet. I'd rather get rid of the car now, if it's representative of more problems to come.
THANKS FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS YOU CAN OFFER!
ggms
Old 05-16-2006, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
If you are replacing bulbs that often there is an underlying problem, perhaps high voltage or voltage spiking. The alternator problem may be part of it and perhaps with a new alternator the problem may go away. As so far as the seat problem, it may or may not be related.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S550 Designo Edition
'01 E320 88K miles - I have similar problem, onlly mine is the left head lamp that burns the bulb regularly every 5-8 weeks.
I thought it was th stock bulbs, so started buying the SilverStars, but to no avail. Those also burn at the same rate.

Any ideas?