Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C230K Uniwiper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C230K Sport
C230K Uniwiper

I figured I would come here first before looking at my problem in depth:

I recently drove my 2000 C230K to dinner after it sitting idle for about a day and a half. It was a little rain covered so I clicked my one swipe button on the uniwiper (as my friends have dubbed it). Well when it finished clearing my window, I noticed the wiper end (furthest from the middle where it pivots) was sitting about 3-4 inches off the window just sorta hanging out there. In fact, when I ran the wiper, I noticed it is off the window on the other side of the car too when it gets over there. I pressed it down but the problem persisted. Now when I run it, it swipes across and then returns to a 3-4 inch separation from the window. Eventually it falls back down into place.

It sounds like I may have a bad spring or something in the wiper assembly, but I honestly have no idea. Has anyone experienced a similar problem or knows of a potential remedy? I hope the whole wiper assembly doesn't need replacing.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:57 PM

1995 c220 auto
If you mean that the wiper is staying in the extended position when at the sides of the screen it sounds like the nut on the crank asembly at the back of the wiper mechanism has come loose. Unfortunately the whole wiper motor/drive unit has to come out to tighten this nut. Here is a link that will let you see what is involved in removal. http://members.lycos.nl/mbenz/windshield_wiper.htm .
Also do a search for "monowiper" and follow instructions for lubricating the drive head mechanism.
Hope it helps, Geo.

Last edited by shandy2550; 05-30-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:51 PM

2000 C230K Sport
Well, not quite. The wiper extends correctly in the middle of its swipe and retracts on the sides as it should. When it is at the sides, however, the wiper is lifted 3-4 inches off the windshield and not making contact at all. I will take a look at that link though. If the arm is extending properly it seems that the motorized portion of the assembly is working alright and *hopefully* it's something minor.

Would a new wiper blade potentially change this? Do they help at all to keep the wiper on the windshield? This wouldn't make much sense to me, but it can't hurt to ask. I know the blade has not been changed in a long time. (Not since I've owned the vehicle)
Old 05-31-2006, 09:33 AM

1995 c220 auto
If your wiper is moving in and out correctly you don't have much of a problem. It sounds like the hinge on the wiper arm is binding. Refer to diagram: #170 cover ,unclip to expose hinge on arm #130 and wiper pushrod ; http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.asp...SGR=120&SGN=04 . If you hinge the wiper arm up away from the screen(it is very tight to move) you can lubricate the hinge to stop it binding.It may be that the spring has broken,unlikely, if so you need a new wiper arm.
Also while you have the cover off stop the wiper in its fully extended position using the ignition switch and grease the pushrod,if this rod is allowed to dry out the wiper mechanism can be overloaded and fail.
Hope this helps, Geo.