Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! ...oil on top of filter, burning? how? (1991 190e)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2006 | 12:41 PM

i've lost count
HELP! ...oil on top of filter, burning? how? (1991 190e)

i have a 1991 190e, and yesterday i was driving a client to lunch and when i hit an expansion joint on the freeway- i started smelling oil burning and coming into the air vents.

i didn't do anything right away (as i had a client with me in the car) so i went to lunch, took him back to his office- and left for mine.

got to the parking lot and opened my hood, to find a bit of oil on the top of the big filter.

could something have bounced it where it splashed up?

what should i look for?

where should i be looking?

...i'm new to this car/engine- so i'm not familiar with the engine bay yet.

i dont have any pics of the oil on the top- but its not enough that i dont think the camera would pick it up.

but the oil is on top of the big black round filter canister thing.

Old 05-31-2006 | 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
That "STOP" decal is a sign you may unfortunately have a K&N air filter.

"Filter" is a misnomer with these. Recommend returning to OE filter.

Nevertheless, oil sitting on top of the air filter housing doesn't "burn," so look near the exhaust pipes on the passenger side.

The four looped wires on the passenger side are spark plug wires and connect to spark plugs that are in your cylinder head. There is a straight seam between the cylinder head and the rest of the engine, i.e. the engine block, which is below. Head gasket fits between the two, and sometimes leaks oil. If leak is near the front of car, there's some chance engine fan could blow some to top of air filter.
Old 05-31-2006 | 02:55 PM

i've lost count
Originally Posted by lkchris
That "STOP" decal is a sign you may unfortunately have a K&N air filter.

"Filter" is a misnomer with these. Recommend returning to OE filter.

Nevertheless, oil sitting on top of the air filter housing doesn't "burn," so look near the exhaust pipes on the passenger side.

The four looped wires on the passenger side are spark plug wires and connect to spark plugs that are in your cylinder head. There is a straight seam between the cylinder head and the rest of the engine, i.e. the engine block, which is below. Head gasket fits between the two, and sometimes leaks oil. If leak is near the front of car, there's some chance engine fan could blow some to top of air filter.
eek... the head gasket was supposedly just replaced prior to my purchasing this car.