Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sbc Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 04:00 PM
bsk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 350 2006- Iridium Silver with charcoal interior,premium package
Sbc Question

have a 2006 E 350 and have gone through the usual getting used to sbc noises-including the wake up, grinding of the pump and clicking which is fine- i am very happy with the brakes so far
my question is that about once a day -when i get home and park the car in the garage and return to open the door -about 5 minutes later- i hear a series of sounds from the engine compartment- best described like "the sound of some ice cubes falling down in the ice maker compartment of a refrigerator"- now it only occurs one time a day and that is it.
i spoke to a knowledgeable service manager who stated that it was the sound of the system releasing pressure in the valves of the braking system and that every car would do this at a different time depending on when it thinks pressure is to be relieved-eg at the end of the day
what do other members think of this sound and have others heard it
thanks
Old 06-07-2006, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 ML350, 85 300D
I've never heard this noise and you would think with all the SBC cars in the shop, you would hear this at some point.
Releasing pressure? From what? I looked at the hyd circuit diagram again and I can't see any thing that would do that, especially then. I suppose it could be the pump going through shut-down- just before the car goes to sleep (not just at the end of the day, BTW) the pump will actually kick back on sometimes to make sure it can 'pre-charge' when it is woken back up.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by bsk
when i get home and park the car in the garage and return .... -about 5 minutes later- i hear a series of sounds from the engine compartment- best described like "the sound of some ice cubes falling down in the ice maker compartment of a refrigerator"- now it only occurs one time a day and that is it.
When cars are new there are many 'cracking' sounds that come from the cooling of parts (like exhaust system). They decrease as the car ages. Maybe when you hear it is after a long drive home work and the car has been good and heated up? Probably does it when you get to work as well but you don't stand around waiting for the noise.