Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor Ride quality on 99 ML

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Poor Ride quality on 99 ML

My 99 ML seems to rock back and forth everytime I hit a bump. The ride is very harsh and stiff on medium sized bumps. Anyway, is there any service bulletins or any fix for this. Am I the only one with the crappy riding ML? BTW I have General Grabber ST tires.
Old 12-18-2001, 07:51 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E320 4Matic
Al, I just had the same problem yesterday with a 2001 loaner with 17,000 miles from the dealer (Chambers, Somerville). I had my E320 in for service regarding the vibration problem I posted recently. My wife had a Lexus RX300 and the ride is no comparison. In fact, when I had my LS400 before my current E320, I never minded driving her car. The ML320 ws loud and virbrates and I kept thinking I had it in 3rd or 4th. Anyway, this may just be my personal preference but funny that you should post it the same day I drove one. And BTW there is a bulletin and the link is posted below ( from AWiner's post).
PS - I'll let you know what happens at Chambers. If no success, I'm off to Clair as you suggested.
Nick
http://users.nni.com/allex/info1.htm This is the page you want. Scroll down to June 13, 1999 I think

DSB (Dealer Service Bulletin) information for all models of Mercedes vehicles.
Service Records Database

Another site like the one above (Outdated now, lastentry was 12/05/00, however good for reference) is :
Older Inofrmation Database [/B][/QUOTE]

Last edited by DrNick; 12-18-2001 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-19-2001, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Chambers gives out Mercedes loaners!!! Did you buy your car there? Clair stopped giving loaners to people that didnt buy their car there, screw them I'm going to Chambers!
Old 12-19-2001, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Angry the dreaded ML

ALBOSTON,You should cut your losses NOW and sell the ML !!The early MLs (had more than there share of PROBLEMS)MB bought back my EX ML for mmmmm.....LEMON LAW!! see ah windows fog up,a/c inop,leaking sunroof,warped front rotors,leaking trans and transfer case,broken drivers seat back,and stalling when it rains!!
and did I forget RATTLES? oh how could I forget the rattles
I own a e class wagon soooo much BETTER without the suv ride I speak from experience as a MB tech. The ml has a long way to go before its sorted out the 2001 is better but only a tad better.So best of LUCK to you and your ML
Old 12-19-2001, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Al, check your tire pressures. Different people have their different preferences when it comes to tire pressures. But having driven hundreds and hundreds of MLs, I find that the best compromise of handling, ride, and tire wear is indeed the factory recommended settings of 32 psi in the front tires, 39 psi in the rears. Tire pressure is always the very first thing you should check when you have a ride complaint. Good luck.
Old 12-19-2001, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Thanks for the insight everyone, I'll update what happened when i take it in on Jan 8.
Old 12-19-2001, 09:46 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E320 4Matic
Originally posted by AlBoston
Chambers gives out Mercedes loaners!!! Did you buy your car there? Clair stopped giving loaners to people that didnt buy their car there, screw them I'm going to Chambers!
Al, I just got back from Chambers a few minutes before reading your post. No, I did not buy my car there. I dropped of my car on Monday and they asked if they could keep it for another day or two due to the snow. They wanted to test drive it on dry pavement to check out the vibration. They were totally sympathetic when I explained that I had had the tires balanced at 6000 and 7000 (as had the previous owner at 2000 mi at dealer #1). When I told them that another dealer told me regarding 4Matic vibrating at 35-40 mph, "oh they all do that" they said that was not true from their experience. Essentially I was told that when the techs can't fix a problem, "they all say that." Well, the car has never been so perfectly balanced. They even reindexed the tires on the rims by breaking the bead and turning the rubber 90 degrees or so. The tire I suspected did indeed test bad at Chambers (dealer #3) but fine at the previous dealer (#2).
My advice, ask for Enio Rebolo, assistant service manager. He is an absolute gentleman. He reminds me of the managers you might meet on a cruise ship even a far as his accent. His attitude is that he is happy when you are happy and that he wants the owner to be the final inspector. If there is more he can do to help he would be delighted. He is constantly prompting the younger assistants to not let people wait outside in the cold or to please help someone with their packages. E-mail me directly if you would like my home # or send me yours if you would like to speak on the phone about this.
My question for MBTech is - I still feel a slight vibration, recognizable because I have lived with it for so many thousand miles. Is it possible that after driving for 10k miles with this vibration that the tires have become unround or damaged slightly in any way?