Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking Fuses Out/Replace - Need to Reset Anything?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2006 | 09:10 PM

1985 380SL and 1994 S500
Taking Fuses Out/Replace - Need to Reset Anything?

I just purchased a 1994 S500. For some reason, the seat belt retractors stopped working, so I decided to first check the fuse. I pulled it out, it looked fine (but I did put a new one in anyway). Now the belt does work fine, but as soon as I turn the car on, the idiot light on the dash lights up that says an exterior bulb is burnt out. I have checked all the bulbs, they are fine. It just happens to be the same fuse for that idiot light as it was for the seat belt retractor.

I also got a bit curious and pulled out another fuse, the one that controlled all the bulbs in the tail lights (as well as the feature that lowers the windows slightly so that you can close the doors easier), and now the windows don't drop down.

To me, all of these issues sound like there is some little trick, some sequence I have to go through when you take a fuse out, to reset things so that the car knows that "hey now the fuses are good, get back to normal". Can any of you out there help me out with this, before I take the plunge and go to the dealer? If it is something simple, I sure would like to be able to do it myself.

Thank you very much.