Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Direct Injection engines

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430, ML320
Direct Injection engines

I've repeatedly heard about some mysterious Direct Injection engines that gonna replace the current lineup of MB's engines in the near future. Can sombody make a comment on this?
Old 12-18-2001, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Injection Direct

Yeah, M-B's working on some 4-valve direct injection engines, to replace its current 3 valve engines. Expect 15-20% better fuel consumption figures with the GDI, plus more specific power. Mercedes once said that three valve engines were necessary to meet modern emission control standards. They've been proven wrong since, and their current lineup of engines is decidedly uneconomical compared to all of their competition. Expect GDI to make the power units competitive again. Mitsubishi and Peugeot already have GDI engines in production.
Old 12-18-2001, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember when MB came out with the 3.2L twin-cam inline-6 for the W124? It had 217 HP, I can't think of another car in it's class that could compete with that. I think MB is planning on doing the same sort of major update to most of the engines in the model range. Think about it, the 5.0L V-8 in the 500 series cars has not had an increase in HP ever since 89 when the R129 first came out. They really need to update their engines and get more HP and torque out of them. I expect this will happen, hopefully. Also expect to see advanced valve timing systems on both the intake and exhaust valves because MB hasn't used this technology on both the intake and exhaust, just the intake if im not mistaking.
I can't wait until the GDI engine's come out!