Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smelly air-con

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 clk55 amg
smelly air-con

can someone suggest a fix for really smelly air-con when first switched on.It does clear after 2 or3 minutes but is very unpleasant. read somewhere else that the condensation drip hose can get blocked - i have not seen a small puddle under the car after running it -used to on my Honda.Can anyone tell me where this hose is meant to be.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63S,2013 C63 AMG Coupe, 2002 C32 AMG (gone but not forgotten)
You can try this stuff or go to your local Wal-Mart/grocery store and pick up a can of Lysol.

It's important to always turn off your A/C just a couple of minutes before you park your car and while still moving.

Spray the stuff into your A/C intake right under the windshield with the A/C running. Spray for about 10-20 seconds, then get in the car and turn off the A/C. Several cycles of this and most of the nasty mold will be dead.

No sign of condensation on the ground is not always a sign of a clogged drain, but if that is the case, get a tech-service manual to help you find the a/c drain vent. (usually near the firewall) and try sticking a long pipe cleaner (tobacco shop) in there.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by silver_metallic
You can try this stuff or go to your local Wal-Mart/grocery store and pick up a can of Lysol.

It's important to always turn off your A/C just a couple of minutes before you park your car and while still moving.

Spray the stuff into your A/C intake right under the windshield with the A/C running. Spray for about 10-20 seconds, then get in the car and turn off the A/C. Several cycles of this and most of the nasty mold will be dead.

No sign of condensation on the ground is not always a sign of a clogged drain, but if that is the case, get a tech-service manual to help you find the a/c drain vent. (usually near the firewall) and try sticking a long pipe cleaner (tobacco shop) in there.
I've tried this in one of my non-MB cars and it does seem to work.