Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission - C240 will not change gears

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission - C240 will not change gears

Hello,

My stock 2002 Automatic C240 (65,000 kms) has been acting up:

- It will stay in 1st gear & will not switch to a higher gear. This is more noticeable in the morning or after being parked for many hours. Also if the car is not warmed up for a long period of time (i.e more than 5 minutes @ idle) it has this transmission problem.

Sometimes I have to pull over & restart the car, let it sit at idle, then hope the car returns to normal.

- I also have one malfunction at the moment, something to do with a light sensor. Any possibility this is relaying some msg to the computer --> causing my transmission problem?

I'm hoping this isn't to serious, as up until now the car has been relatively good, except for lights burning out etc.

Any help would be very much appreciated, I'm going to visit the dealer ASAP, however thought I would get some extra feedback. The problem is the car is no longer under warranty (purchased in late 2001).

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2006, 10:51 PM

Your problem could be mechanical, a stuck valve in the valve body. When the car warms up the aluminum valve body expands and releases the valve, up shift.

Another possibility, what you are feeling my be normal, the up shift delay strategy will hold a gear when the engine is cold, for a couples of seconds to heat up the cat faster, (closed loop) when cold.

The difference between them, in delay cat mode, the up shift is held for seconds, if the delayed shift when cold happens for minutes, it’s a stuck valve. A Transmission flush my curer this problem, only if the transmission is not failing.

The diagnosis of an electronic transmission starts when scanning for any codes.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:31 AM

did you ever solve this problem? I am haing the same issue staying in 1st gear & will not switch to a higher gear especially when engine is cold.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2006, 04:32 PM

just double check around the gearbox for leaks from the sump/gasket and also the elctrical connector that goes into the side of the box, prone for leaking and if not enough oil in the g/box it will obviously not operate correctly. when warming up the oil becomes thinner effectively raising the level very slightly and so this is possibly enough to help stop the problem. but i would advised you get it dipped at a delaership with the oil piping hot! ie drievn for around 10-15 minutes first. if level good then book it in and leave overnight to cool down. or share your findings first.