Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

85 300D, need A/C parts list and/or mechanic in Nashville, TN

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 300D, need A/C parts list and/or mechanic in Nashville, TN

Short version:

I need to know what part numbers I need to look at for the A/C system on an 85 300D. Will probably need to completely redo the A/C system. Hopefully can find a few parts on ebay, I'm on a budget. Parts must be a virtual drop-in replacement (don't want to have to redo a lot of stuff just to put in a compressor, for example). Will be running R12.

Also would like to know the name of a good mechanic in Nashville, TN that deals with these older Mercedes.

Long version:

Our 01 Dodge Intrepid bit the big one, and with a new baby we REALLY need working A/C, which the 85 300D does NOT have. It used to kinda work, but it leaked more and more, and just doesn't hold a charge anymore. I had it spot-checked, the mechanic (who doesn't work on Mercedes, so he wouldn't attempt a complicated fix) pointed out where it was leaking from the compressor. There was no dye or anything, the leak was that visible. When I bought the car, I was told it was retrofitted to R134a. The compressor was definitely replaced, and the fittings weren't those cheap ones that just screw onto the old R12 fittings (so, it was at least partially retrofitted, not a cheap Wal-Mart kit). I know I'll need at least a compressor, dryer, new seals, and probably more.

I'm in a bit of a time crunch, it keeps getting hotter and we have to travel with the baby soon (vacation planned for next month, plus his 2-month doctor's appointment, plus it'd be nice to get out of the house with him during the day). Otherwise I wouldn't mind spending a couple months trying to find the part numbers that can work (I vaguely remember seeing some on this forum once, but it was along the lines of "with little work this can be made to fit", I need an easy to install part, I may end up trying this myself).

Thanks all!