Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a way to tell if your Smart Key is the latest version?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 03:15 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Is there a way to tell if your Smart Key is the latest version?

My C320 is an April prod., 2001 model. I do not know when MB switched to the "improved" Smart Key. Is there any printing on the old or new key that identifies each?

Also, is the new version key less prone to problems? The prob I think I have with with my key is minor, so I've been waiting until Smart Key "3.0" comes out. But if Smart Key "2.0" is working well, I suppose I have no reason to wait.

Oh, the prob? The easy entry/exit feature on my memory seats is programmed to raise the wheel and retract the seat. The wheel feature works fine, but the seat doesn't retract. Both functions work as advertised in my wife's stored setting, but not mine. So, I assume I have a key problem... minor, as I said earlier.
Old 12-19-2001, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB-BOB, the new keys have the letter "e" molded into the plastic near the IR emitter. Or maybe it is a "c". I'd check but I flew out to visit my parents and left my keys in St. Louis
Old 12-19-2001, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240
Well I got my car a couple of months ago and its considered a 2002 model. The key that came with the car has some italic text that looks to spell something like "Huf" next to the IR transmitter. I think thats the company that makes the keys. The star is also chromed on the backside...I noticed that earlier keys didn't have the star chromed. Mind you, its a Canadian car, so it may be different that the states. In the battery case, it says 315 Mhz SIEMENS, than the same "Huf" symbol next to it. Hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2001, 09:38 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
C240x, my keys are like yours... chrome star and "Huf" by the IR window. I've heard about the "e" by the IR window, Lynn (mine doesn't have it), but would like a secondary confirmation, such as a part number like the one stamped on the barrel by the Panic Button. Mine says 213 1132. (I assume this is a part number). There are also some numbers inside on the battery housing (5WK4 7282, and 5WK4 7283).

The dealer techs have to know how to tell these apart.
Old 12-21-2001, 04:23 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Hello... are there any MB insiders out there? Dealers? Techs? I need an answer to this thread, please... an answer other than heresay rumor from among us poor users.