Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Timing Chain, Easy?
Timing
0%
Guide rails
0%
Cams Pins
0%
TDC
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

92 400se Timing Chain Repair?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 92 400se Timing Chain Repair?

Has anyone here had the privelidge of replacing the Entire Timing Chain and all accesories invloved?
Attached Thumbnails 92 400se Timing Chain Repair?-4.2l-t-chain-g-rail-diag.jpg  
Old 08-21-2006, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well as a matter of fact?

I'm going to start work on one any day now, i'm just waiting on parts. When i took the valve covers off it was a freakin mess in there. guide rails everywhere or at least parts of guide rails, rail pins all distorted, inside of valve covers all shredded, timing chain just hanging around etc.. but believe it or not the car was still runing "ok" when it was brought to my house. This was all discovered while i was in the process of repairing a coolant leak and a oil leak. I'll say i have my work cut out for me, it's cool though, the timing chain job alone pays 22.8 time units. lets just hope its a success. one mechanic at work attempted to do the same job "Timing Chain, Oil pan, Oil Chain etc.." on the same motor (4.2L) and failed half way thru, ended up towing the mercedes to the dealer. he couldn't complete the task of removing lower and upper oil pan??? all he had to do is practically drop the whole front end... remove wheels, coil springs, motor mounts, sub frame, motor accesories, etc... and then simply drop Wha La, now you can get to those few bolts. sounds easy. It kinda sounds like: remove and install a new sway bar in an Audi TT, Pain in the !@*. Any How Good Luck! keep ya posted on progress.
Attached Thumbnails 92 400se Timing Chain Repair?-4.2-l-top-view.jpg