Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do I change sparkplugs on C320 (M112)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320 (purple), 2002 BMW 540i
how do I change sparkplugs on C320 (M112)?

My car has been running very rough at idle lately. It's not a constant thing like I would think motor mounts going out would cause. The car hit 100k miles this summer and for a time it was running very rich (40%+) due to a MAF problem. So, I suspect that the spark plugs need to be changed somewhere along the lines of RIGHT NOW.

This should be a simple enough thing to do on my own. I figure I can save myself some money by doing it myself. Also, since I'm planning on using Denso Iridium plugs (after STFF all morning) that need to be changed every 30k, starting to do it myself will save a lot of money over the next few years. Well, that and I think it's kind of neat.

But, I'm really an idiot and I can't even figure out how to remove the engine cover. I don't know a darned thing about changing sparkplugs. I know that the ends stick out and I have to get some sort of wrench to unscrew them with, and I know that they have some sort of wires that go to each plug. That's about as far as it goes. So, I would be very appreciative if anyone would like to do a nice writeup for this for myself and anyone who finds this thread in the future (I did already STFF, couldn't find anything for the M112).

Please feel free to include idiot steps and pics if you have them!
Old 09-02-2006, 09:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by b3d_sage
My car has been running very rough at idle lately. It's not a constant thing like I would think motor mounts going out would cause. The car hit 100k miles this summer and for a time it was running very rich (40%+) due to a MAF problem. So, I suspect that the spark plugs need to be changed somewhere along the lines of RIGHT NOW.

This should be a simple enough thing to do on my own. I figure I can save myself some money by doing it myself. Also, since I'm planning on using Denso Iridium plugs (after STFF all morning) that need to be changed every 30k, starting to do it myself will save a lot of money over the next few years. Well, that and I think it's kind of neat.

But, I'm really an idiot and I can't even figure out how to remove the engine cover. I don't know a darned thing about changing sparkplugs. I know that the ends stick out and I have to get some sort of wrench to unscrew them with, and I know that they have some sort of wires that go to each plug. That's about as far as it goes. So, I would be very appreciative if anyone would like to do a nice writeup for this for myself and anyone who finds this thread in the future (I did already STFF, couldn't find anything for the M112).

Please feel free to include idiot steps and pics if you have them!

sent you a PM, also go with NGK instead of Denso if you're not buying the Bosch OEM plugs

Regards,
paul...
Old 09-02-2006, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320 (purple), 2002 BMW 540i
Replied, thanks!