Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different engines for U.S.?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 CLK200 Cabrio & 04' Peugeot 307
Different engines for U.S.?

I live in Cyprus... just out of curiosity, I was wondering if they make different engines for U.S.? because here and generally around europe, octane range goes from 95 to 100 octane and during the time I was in US, the highest I saw was 93 or 95 (I'm not sure)... how does this work if all engines requires a specific octane range for optimum performance??
Old 09-11-2006, 10:44 AM

cls 55 amg, clk 320
Originally Posted by OnyxCLK
I live in Cyprus... just out of curiosity, I was wondering if they make different engines for U.S.? because here and generally around europe, octane range goes from 95 to 100 octane and during the time I was in US, the highest I saw was 93 or 95 (I'm not sure)... how does this work if all engines requires a specific octane range for optimum performance??
Im not sure, but in the US they have strict laws concerning emissions, wich could mean there are diffrences in the catalytic converters. Another difference with US cars that i realized, was that they are cheaper than the rest of the world. Another difference in the cars is the power output, all US spec cars have lower HP, and that could be a result of the octane levels.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:39 PM

'06 CLK200 Cabrio & 04' Peugeot 307
thanks for the info

well yeah I already know about the price difference, I literally cried after seeing the prices there I could have bought a clk63 amg there for the price I paid for my clk 200 here
Old 09-11-2006, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by OnyxCLK
US octane numbers are Anti Knock Index, or AKI. They are computed by adding the Research Octane Number (RON) and Motor Octane Number (MON), then dividing by two.

Most European countries use the RON, which is 4 to 5 points higher than the AKI, if I recall correctly. That would mean 93 octane in the US would be equivalent to 97 to 98 octane in Europe.