Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

e430.Car going nuts on me, windows, locks, trunk, snrf alarm all open on their own.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 E 430 , '05 E500
Question e430.Car going nuts on me, windows, locks, trunk, snrf alarm all open on their own.

Started about a week ago, first wife mentioned alarm went off on it's own. Said she was crazy...then it did later that evening. Then a day later got work, parked the car..walked away after locking the doors..20 steps later alarm goes off, then it stayed on, could not shut off, could actually turn the car on and the alarm still on, light blinking..raining cats and dogs.. Somehow, don't know how after opening doors clicking swithches..time passes and it suddenly stops. Bing late to work by now..I walked away and told security that my car may act up..it did 4 more time in the day, sometimes with lights flashing other times w/o. and it always eventually turned itself off that day. I decided to not lock the car until I get an answer as to what is up.

next day..the trunk lid is open when I wake up. I closed it and when I left, it was open again, but bthis time all the windows down and sunroof open

what the heck is going on...other wise the car runs great.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:48 PM

124/140
pull up back seat, check for water in the central locking pump . the pump is covered in foam between the battery and the door sill . I have seen this a few times in my shop . may help, may not ,anyway good luck...
Old 09-16-2006, 01:57 AM

Perhaps a poltergist?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist!)
Old 09-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Almost a Member!

'99 E 430 , '05 E500
I'll check it out today.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:57 AM
Almost a Member!

'99 E 430 , '05 E500
Thumbs up Thanks a bunch you were Right!

A few days have gone by and I just had not gotten to it, but today was a particularly active day w/ this Poltergiest. Trunk opened 3 times today while parked, locks and dome lights are now activating while I'm driving and I was concerned with the security system killing the engine in mid freeway. So this evening I yanked the seat out and found the sponge box, pulled out the tube bound box and sure enough, the bottom is soaked and traces of water are on the floor board.

Thanks for you help.. In your experience did this device need to be replaced or could it be serviced (dried)

Thanks again.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 ML 320, 2003 CBR600F4i, 99 Eclipse GSX
Honestly I would take it to a dealer and get your insurance company involved, because even with replacing the module that car will have electric gremlins forever if it isnt fixed right. I do ALOT of flooded cars at my dealer and you wouldnt believe the amount of mess the water will cause. Also VERY costly... IE insurance.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:54 AM
Almost a Member!

'99 E 430 , '05 E500
I got you, but unfortunately I'm way past warranty. Are you say that insurance company would cover this an incident/accident of some kind?

thanx