Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel System Cleaner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 225 Likes on 176 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Arrow Fuel System Cleaner

Looking for a product to clean out my fuel system/injectors. Lubro moly?

Thank you.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Most are "snake oil" MB suggests no addititives.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Lightbulb Fuel system additives

The dealer used something when I had a "B" service on my last car. I asked the service manager what they used and he thought that it was Chevron Techron. I use that on all my cars (and use only Chevron premium fuel) every 3000 miles.

We had a discussion about Liqui-Moly (made in Germany) and I am still thinking about ordering some. I did an internet search; they make several products, 3 or 4, and they all clean various parts of your fuel system.

Good luck!

Last edited by Musikmann; 11-08-2006 at 03:33 PM. Reason: change
Old 11-08-2006, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Thank you!
Old 11-08-2006, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Just use Top Tier gasoline all the time

http://www.toptiergas.com
Old 11-08-2006, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
[QUOTE=HLG600;1829565]Looking for a product to clean out my fuel system/injectors. Lubro moly?QUOTE]

Just curious....why do you think your fuel system needs 'cleaning'? Did the car sit for a long time (years) with no operation? Are you running without a fuel filter?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:32 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
Seafoam is god's gift to cars
Old 11-08-2006, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e300d
RedLine offers an excellent fuel system cleaner.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:21 PM

I used a Penzoil Fuel System Cleaner.
Next day my "Check Engine" light came on.
The engine is so smooth, quiet. Pick-up is great!
I though it was just the Oxygen sensor.
But when the mechanic hooked-up the computer, it read:
Secondary Air Injection System malfunction.

Any suggestions????
Please help.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Originally Posted by mleskovar
Just curious....why do you think your fuel system needs 'cleaning'? Did the car sit for a long time (years) with no operation? Are you running without a fuel filter?
I have been noticing a slight inconsistency between the mileage of buring the first half of the tank in comparison to the second half. For instance, the first quarter is used up rather quickly but once it reaches the one half mark the consumption slows a noticeable amount. The car runs flawlessly, and I relate this irregularity to some buildup due to fuel impurities. Searching for a very safe product to clean up the tank and injectors.

HLG
Old 11-08-2006, 11:54 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
Originally Posted by HLG600
I have been noticing a slight inconsistency between the mileage of buring the first half of the tank in comparison to the second half. For instance, the first quarter is used up rather quickly but once it reaches the one half mark the consumption slows a noticeable amount. The car runs flawlessly, and I relate this irregularity to some buildup due to fuel impurities. Searching for a very safe product to clean up the tank and injectors.

HLG
Seafoam can do all of that: put in your Fuel Tank, Crankcase, Vacuum Lines, even down the TB if you really wanted to.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
I have been noticing a slight inconsistency between the mileage of buring the first half of the tank in comparison to the second half. For instance, the first quarter is used up rather quickly but once it reaches the one half mark the consumption slows a noticeable amount. The car runs flawlessly, and I relate this irregularity to some buildup due to fuel impurities. Searching for a very safe product to clean up the tank and injectors.HLG
I hope your fuel system cleaning helps but I doubt it. It's probably a problem with your fuel level sending unit being inconsistent. IMHO you can do more harm than good introducing 'cleaning' chemicals to the system, that's why MB does not recommend using them. The fuel system is designed to work with gasoline....how do you know that the 'cleaners' won't attack metal/rubber/plastic in the fuel delivery system and really cause a bad problem?
Old 11-09-2006, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB, BMW

HLG

sounds like a fuel gauge prob rather than the injectors. btw the fuel gauge does not give 100% accurate readings
Old 11-09-2006, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R230 SL63 | W220 S55
I was hoping it would dissolve any buildup in the gas tank, which I suspected the cause of the minor gauge inconsistency.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39

HLG
I've been noticing that with my car too. But its not a dramatic change at all. It's a very insigficant change for me.

Could be a few things:
1. I am just seeing things
2. Car gets lighter as tank gets emptier
3. Inaccurate gauge
4. Heavier foot during the latter part of the week
Old 11-09-2006, 09:57 PM

2014 E550 Convertible

HLG
Take a good close look at your fuel tank and you'll find that it's not perfectly rectangular. The lower portion holds less volume. It's really difficult to make a fuel gauge that compensates for this, especially when you consider that fuel tanks are probably different between most models. Check it our when refueling. My 1st 1/2 tank is like 6 gallons, the other half is around 9.

The problem I'm having with mine is that the gauge isn't really accurate. It reports fuel level like 15 minutes in the past. I've ran out of gas once because of it, but now I know. As soon as the needle flirts with the light I hit the BP.

Damn gasoline! Someday I shall have an electric car.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by software
Damn gasoline! Someday I shall have an electric car.
I agree. Have you seen this?.....

"EESTOR

THE INNOVATION: A ceramic power source for electric cars that could blow away the combustion engine

Forget hybrids and hydrogen-powered vehicles. EEStor, a stealth company in Cedar Park, Texas, is working on an "energy storage" device that could finally give the internal combustion engine a run for its money - and begin saving us from our oil addiction. "To call it a battery discredits it," says Ian Clifford, the CEO of Toronto-based electric car company Feel Good Cars, which plans to incorporate EEStor's technology in vehicles by 2008.

EEStor's device is not technically a battery because no chemicals are involved. In fact, it contains no hazardous materials whatsoever. Yet it acts like a battery in that it stores electricity. If it works as it's supposed to, it will charge up in five minutes and provide enough energy to drive 500 miles on about $9 worth of electricity. At today's gas prices, covering that distance can cost $60 or more; the EEStor device would power a car for the equivalent of about 45 cents a gallon.

And we mean power a car. "A four-passenger sedan will drive like a Ferrari," Clifford predicts. In contrast, his first electric car, the Zenn, which debuted in August and is powered by a more conventional battery, can't go much faster than a moped and takes hours to charge.

The cost of the engine itself depends on how much energy it can store; an EEStor-powered engine with a range roughly equivalent to that of a gasoline-powered car would cost about $5,200. That's a slight premium over the cost of the gas engine and the other parts the device would replace - the gas tank, exhaust system, and drivetrain. But getting rid of the need to buy gas should more than make up for the extra cost of an EEStor-powered car.

EEStor is tight-lipped about its device and how it manages to pack such a punch. According to a patent issued in April, the device is made of a ceramic powder coated with aluminum oxide and glass. A bank of these ceramic batteries could be used at "electrical energy stations" where people on the road could charge up.

EEStor is backed by VC firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, and the company's founders are engineers Richard Weir and Carl Nelson. CEO Weir, a former IBM-er, won't comment, but his son, Tom, an EEStor VP, acknowledges, "That is pretty much why we are here today, to compete with the internal combustion engine." He also hints that his engine technology is not just for the small passenger vehicles that Clifford is aiming at, but could easily replace the 300-horsepower brutes in today's SUVs. That would make it appealing to automakers like GM and Ford, who are seeing sales of their gas-guzzling SUVs and pickup trucks begin to tank because of exorbitant fuel prices."
Old 11-10-2006, 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
I agree that fuel cleaners are a waste of time, unless you are in a country that has poor quality fuel. A nonlinear gas gage can be the result of a defective sending unit, or gage. Many modern Mercedes use two sending units in an effort to average the reading between the two.

Electric car using a ceramic coated with aluminum and glass dielectric capacitor? Bwa Ha Ha Ha. What is the next? An engine that runs on compressed air?

$9 worth of electricty is about 10 Kwh. 500 miles takes about 10 hours, so that is 1,000 watts per hour. That is about the same power generated by my Weedwacker. Not sure I would like to go to Vegas propelled by handheld garden equipment.

Last edited by Moviela; 11-10-2006 at 03:10 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by Moviela
$9 worth of electricty is about 10 Kwh. 500 miles takes about 10 hours, so that is 1,000 watts per hour. That is about the same power generated by my Weedwacker. Not sure I would like to go to Vegas propelled by handheld garden equipment.
Shouldn't that be 100kwh, not 10kwh? That would make it 10 weedwackers, which should be a lot more fun.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
I'd like to buy some of those eleven cent kilowatts. My penalty rate for exceeding 200% of prior usage is $ 1.04!

It is hard enough to syncronize the three Webers on a vintage Porsche. I can't imagine the time involved in synching 10 weedwackers!