Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mbtech208 - brake dust - professional opinion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2001, 11:14 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E320 4Matic
mbtech208 - brake dust - professional opinion

mbtech208 - I wanted to get the opinion of an experienced professional to two questions I have asked my local service departments.
1- Can I have aftermarket low dust pads installed? No they may warp the rotors.
2- What about Kleen wheels? We used to install them but they may heat up and warp the rotors or throw off the balance. A local, experienced, private MB tech told me he has been installing dust shields for many years with no problems.

This is in contrast to the posts I have reviewed by members of the various forums. However, what is your opinion re: warpage, safety, etc.
Thanks,
Nick
Old 12-24-2001, 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Possible Help

I assume the reason you even bother with Kleen wheels and the low dust pads is because the dust messes up your wheels regularly. Here's what I have done and it's worked fine. Next time you wash the car, have the rims waxed, just like you'd do the rest of the vehicle. The wax goes a long way in repelling brake dust - or at least making them extremely easy to just wipe off. Do it regularly and you'll not have to spend money on Kleen wheels, etc. About aftermarket pads, I'll be extremely careful - brake fade could ruin your day, even with ABS and traction control. If you do decide to do aftermarket low dust pads, make sure they are compatibl with the MB rotors, or whatever metal the MB rotors are made of.
Old 12-29-2001, 12:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E320 4Matic
I do wax them and although it is easier to remove they still get very dirty. Dirtier than my wife's Lexus gets in a month. The only thing that keeps me from getting the Porterfields or the Kleen Wheels is rotor damage and problems with heat dissipation that the MB service techs warn me about. That's why I wanted to get mbtech208 advice based on his experience. I'm not sure if the techs I have spoken to at the dealers are obligated to advose against it. What do you think mbtech208 ?
Thank you for your response.
Nick