Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF sensor replaced TWICE? W203

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
´01 C240 Avantgarde
Thumbs down MAF sensor replaced TWICE? W203

Hi guys, I am really dissapointed right now, I´ve just been told by the dealer(after 2 weeks of waiting and wondering) that my '01 C240 Auto needs to have replaced the MAF for the second time now... The first time it was replaced about 2.5 years ago with 30k mi. on the odometer, now it has 20k mi. more for a total of about 50k mi. Is this normal? Could this be possible? I am really losing my confidence in the dealer's diagnose. I have done nothing but dealer services and dealer parts installed by them, so I am very angry.

The MAF is about $500 + diagnose + installation.

They have already replaced the gas pedal (which is electronic) and gave it back to me last week, and when driving home I noticed the same symptom and took it back right away. They tested it with me and said I had to leave it again. Now htey call me and tell me about the MAF. In total it will be $1,000.

I am planning on taking back the gas pedal because when I tested it it was no different fron when I took it htere for the first time.

What happens is that the engine looses power when floored, and being an auto trans with many miles driven on highway everyday I cant pass or feel safe when crossing a city street.

What should I do? There is no other MB dealer in the whole country.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 192 Likes on 172 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
The MAF failed on my 2001 CLK320 at 40K miles....it's a fairly common issue with MB.

If it is out of specification, your CEL (check engine light) will come on.

I would go to an AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts and have them read out any OBDII codes (MAF is usually P0170 and P0173).

You could try cleaning your MAF (there is an aerosol made for this.....do a search and you'll find the information). Many have had good results doing this.

I bought a new MAF on-line (not the EBay variety) for $240 and replaced it myself (only took 10 minutes and a screwdriver).

One word of caution, if you have a CEL on or have OBDII codes and your state inspection is coming up, do not wait until the last minute (you will fail). It's takes 3 cold cycles to clear the CEL and about 250 miles of driving to clear the codes after the fault has been repaired.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
´01 C240 Avantgarde
Thanks, but there is no CEL or any other type of message on the dashboard, the way they say they diagnosed this is by installing a "boorowed one" and see if it got any better.

The car right now in in their shop and to goet it out of there I would have to pay for the whode diagnose and to sign a paper saying I accept it at my own risk, I really don't want that, I feel like it will at some point break...
Old 11-14-2006, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Be sure you're not using K&N filter.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
MAF's are a consumable and must be replaced occassionaly. Granted your replacement frequency is a bit high. Have a look and see if the air filter is clean and that oil is not somehow getting up into the air intake. Also use only OEM Maf's. Keep in mind that some people clean them but they are only kidding themselves and most likely do more damage as the MAF is quite delicate and sensative. And yes, like anything else you get a marginal one out of the box once in a while.