Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 clk55 amg
Power Steering issue

Hi all, whilst my car was at dealers for a service, they took it out for a test drive and according to them the power steering suddenly ceased to work and steering got very heavy at low speeds. they subsequently replaced the power steering pump under warranty and returned car to me. Taking it out for a drive I immediately noticed that going round a roundabout at about 15-20 mph the steering feels very heavy and you really have to work quite hard to turn the wheel, much more so than i remember before it went in. At parking speeds power steering works fine. Obviously I will be taking it back for them to rectify the problem but wondered if in the meantime anyone has any idea's what might be the problem.

Last edited by eddieb; 12-02-2006 at 10:09 AM. Reason: addition
Old 12-02-2006, 10:25 AM

05 ML350, 85 300D
Sounds like a speed sensitive steering issue- the car thinks it is going faster, so it lowers the PS effect.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:03 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 clk55 amg
Is the speed sensitive part of the steering a seperate issue from the power steering pump and if so could they have messed something up during the pump replacement