Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help removing inside trunk panels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240 2002
Help removing inside trunk panels

I am looking for the wiring to hook up a Mercedes phone controller. I found the teleaid and some wiring under the carpet and plastic panel on the floor of the trunk. That doesn't appear to be where the phone setup goes. I understand from a posting that I read, that the wiring for the phone controller might be behind the trunk side panel between the rear wheel and the rear light on the passenger's side of my 2002 C240. Can anyone confirm that, and also tell me how difficult it is (and how) to release the plastic clips (or whatever you call them) that hold the panel in place?

Thanks,

Dick
Old 09-16-2002, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
If they are the same that are used on the coupe:
It's a two piece round fastener. The outer piece goes through the panel and sheet metal and has a hole for the inner piece. The inner piece has a head and a thin shaft that wedges itself into the outer piece when fully inserted.
I used a piece of string and "flossed" it around the head of the inner piece and yanked it out. This releases the inner piece from the sheet metal.

Note: You can use a screwdriver instead of string to pry the inner piece out, but I didn't want to mark up the surfaces.

If you have small, square, flush sitting, fasteners, they work the same way. The coupe has these on the trunk opening sill. The string won't work here because the head is recessed. You'll see a small slot on each side of the inner piece. Use a small screwdriver to pry the inner piece out of it's socket.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:03 PM

C240 2002
Originally posted by avlis
If they are the same that are used on the coupe:
It's a two piece round fastener. The outer piece goes through the panel and sheet metal and has a hole for the inner piece. The inner piece has a head and a thin shaft that wedges itself into the outer piece when fully inserted.
I used a piece of string and "flossed" it around the head of the inner piece and yanked it out. This releases the inner piece from the sheet metal.

Note: You can use a screwdriver instead of string to pry the inner piece out, but I didn't want to mark up the surfaces.

If you have small, square, flush sitting, fasteners, they work the same way. The coupe has these on the trunk opening sill. The string won't work here because the head is recessed. You'll see a small slot on each side of the inner piece. Use a small screwdriver to pry the inner piece out of it's socket.
Thank you very much.

Dick Gleason
Old 09-16-2002, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Oh yeah, BTW: I had one fastener that was VERY stuck. It was almost impossable to pull out the inner piece. When the string starts to cut your hands...step it up to the scrwdriver.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Right rear side.