Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mercedes Diagnostic systems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Diagnostic systems

I am hunting around for some diagnostic systems and there appear to be 3 main types -
MB interface for carsoft
MB interface with multiplexer for carsoft
STAR diagnostics

WHAT THE HELL IS A MULTIPLEXER?
LOL

Such an annoying name, but anyway, what on earth is the difference between the three, as the price seems to vary alot. The first 2 appear to be the same no?
Old 01-18-2007, 10:36 PM

96 S420 03 CLK 500
Originally Posted by khizman
I am hunting around for some diagnostic systems and there appear to be 3 main types -
MB interface for carsoft
MB interface with multiplexer for carsoft
STAR diagnostics

WHAT THE HELL IS A MULTIPLEXER?
LOL

Such an annoying name, but anyway, what on earth is the difference between the three, as the price seems to vary alot. The first 2 appear to be the same no?
I have been looking at them too.
The multiplexer reads all the K lines at once you can see the live data. Look at events and stored codes.
One side of the multiplexer connects the cable that plugs into the car the other plugs into a laptop.
With out the multiplexer you would need a bracket box and can only read one line at a time.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:41 PM

1978 280CE & 1997 SLK230 Kompressor
I have a Carsoft 7.4 Interface and use a Multiplexer Selector plug to access the different pin for each system........works very well on my Australian 1997 SLK 230K with a 38pin diagnostic plug

Doing a complete scan with an automatic Multiplexer takes quite a long time......over 40 minutes and can flatten your battery....with disastrous consequences

In version 7.4 all systems are not accessed at once, but sequentially......a long and drawn out process where every type of module is checked for and if not present the the program moves on to the next

The big advantage of the Multiplexer is that it automatically picks the correct pin to access and is a necessity if you want to do a complete scan........this would be the only model to get for an Indy working on several different MB models......but for an individual owner working on his own car a Multiplexer is not really necessary

I have a manual selector plug....once you know which systems your particular model has then you just perform the required tests and select the pin first.....takes less than half the time and really very easy once you work out which pin is associated with which test

The cheapest option for those with a 16pin OBD11 plug is to use a breakout box to access the various pins..........nothing to go wrong (no electronics) and cheap....you should be abe to get an interface and breakout box from China for ~$US150 delivered.....possibly also available in the US on eBay if you are not game to deal with China

Hope this helps

David
Attached Thumbnails Mercedes Diagnostic systems-obd2-break.jpg  

Last edited by David in OZ; 01-20-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2000 CLK430 Cabriolet
Is this a multiplexer ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=330060350515
Old 03-15-2007, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
Star Diagnose is the factory scan tool that can version code control modules, diagnose, and flash modules. the first 2 cannot do that.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:07 PM

1978 280CE & 1997 SLK230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by Pancho
No........the unit shown is a 'plain' interface........as supplied it will only do engine code reading & clearing and live data......will access all systems via the 38 pin connection with a breakout box to connect to each K-line

This is the interface that I have........but you should be able to get it for half the price shown if you get it direct from China................

I note they promote the unit as working on all engines up to 2005......this is not correct.........seems ~2003 is the cut off and I have not heard of anyone having much success with accessing the other systems with the OBD11 connector..........the 38 pin connector works much better with Carsoft 7.4

David