Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xenon Headlights (fake ones)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E-320
Xenon Headlights (fake ones)

I Installed the xenon imitation bulbs for the third time (can't afford the real ones yet) but it only lasts for a couple of months and they burn out ! does anyone have this problem? thanks for your input
Old 09-20-2002, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Let me share my math lesson with you...

Fake bulbs ~$25 each set... 3 sets... $75 .. by the time you realize what you're really doing... $150.

New set of HIDS $450 - free shipping, your choice of color 4800, 6500, 8000 K.

I learned the hard way as well. First one type of blueish bulb, then another, finally overwattage, then extra wiring for the overwattage... well it got expensive really quickly. This was on my M3. Then I got a clue and bought what I really wanted.

Not saying you don't have a clue, btw - just to make that clear. I would just suggest ever time you make an order for more bulbs, cancel it, stick the money in a ziplock back and wait. Then get what you truly want.

P
Old 09-20-2002, 04:12 PM

Mercedes E-320
Thumbs up

wow $450? I did not have a clue ! can you post a link ? I would really apreciate it do I need anything else with this HID'S? and what is the color closest to the real xenon lights?
Old 09-21-2002, 05:31 PM

Arrow ???

On my 420SEL, I've been using the a korean brand of HID 'type' bulbs for about 8 months now. I check the wiring every month (for any type of damage), but haven't found any. My lights haven't burned out yet, and they are brighter than stock. I think your problem might be either:

incorrect installation (don't touch the glass)
wrong kind of HID bulb (try all types, some are simply better than others)
something already wrong with your wiring

PEET: please give me the link to HID conversions for 450.00 as well, I am interested
Old 09-22-2002, 12:33 AM

2011 C63(Euro-spec)
From my experience...

those fake one tends to blow out pretty soon.
You might wanna try better brand such as PIAA or..ect..(I know FEW of them passes TUV standard too!) Those wont blow out like those fake cheap-o....

But I strongly suggest to get REAL HID..
They are pretty cheap..
You can try HID4less.com, ebay...or many other sites...
Old 09-27-2002, 04:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E400 COUPE SOLD -> Porsche Taycan 4S
HID like bulbs i have used and found to last are PIAA and Philips blue vision.

b
Old 09-27-2002, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Some clarification. HID-like (well, that means blue glass on halogen or xenon gas bulb) filament type, nothing new.

HID - High Intensity Discharge ... this is the type of lamp that is used in the high-end systems. There is no fillament and the light is generated by a sparc that jumps between two electrodes inside a glass tube. The tube happens to be filled with Xenon gas, but that really has nothing to do with anything.

Xenon - from Chem 101 - is an inert gas. You very likely could get away with using, argon, krypton, helium as well as xenon. I imagine that the xenon gas gives up the 'bluest' color of the noble gasses... think neon sign (it glows red because it is neon gas).

So then, most of the time people call HID's, Xenon's and the other way around.

Next crazy misnomer (courtesy of Hids4less) is the whole stage II bulb. THIS IS ABSOLUTE NONSENSE! There is no difference in the bulb to merit the expense. They use different shad quartz glass and different gas mixes - that's all. In fact the site I bought from sold all 3 different colors (stages in Hids4less terminology) for the same price.

I've seen these kits (Hella makes and packages the whole kit - not some guy in the back room with shrinkwrap tubing and a soldering gun), and they come in the 4800K, 7000K and 9000K color spectra. The temperature (color) is measured in Kalvin and daylight is roughly 5000-6000K depending on time of day. The 7000K bulbs appear paper white - like flourescent fixtures (albeit much brighter), the 9000K have a purplish tinge to them.

I got the 7000K bulbs. I don' t know (I assume they do) whether or not the 9000K bulbs have UV filters on the glass. If not, they'll be rotting away at your parts and paint.

Ok end of science lesson!

The site I ordered from is:

http://www.groupbuycenter.com/buy.as...ad&row_id=6319

Click the link on the groupbuy page. Use coupon code "hidgb" to get free shipping.

The vendor was quick and accurate. I'd recommend it!

Good luck and have fun.