Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mbtech-help with lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550
mbtech-help with lights

Is it very difficult to change out the City lightbulbs on a 98 E420. I got a set of Xenon like bulbs to try to match my Xenon headlights. Any tips on how to do this or should I just take it to the dealer?
Old 12-26-2001, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Nah, it's not hard at all. On the backside of each headlight unit, there's a gray cover. Holding the cover on are two metal clips. To get the cover off, snap the clips to either side of the gray cover, and lift the cover upwards. There is a locating tab at the bottom of the cover, so make note of that when reinstalling. Holding the bulb in is a clip that is under tension. Squeeze the two protrusions of the clip together, and move them together while pushing them downwards, and then out. It's hard for me to explain it well, but once you see it, it's self-explanatory. Make sure you wear gloves so you don't touch the new bulb. If oil from your fingers gets on the bulb, it will create a "hot spot" and the life of the bulb will decrease.
One more thing, the passenger-side headlight is a little tougher to get to because of the air-filter box. You may need to remove it if it makes it easier for you. Unclip the mass-airflow sensor, and the filter box just lifts up. Just make sure when you put the box back in, you install the air-inlet duct into its proper position.
Old 12-26-2001, 11:49 PM

2010 E550
Thank you my friend. I'll be exchanging bulbs tommorrow. Want a good nites sleep to rest up for this formidable task.
Old 12-27-2001, 08:15 PM

2010 E550
mbtech further light Q

It looks as though the wiper fluid container on the drivers side may be in the way. What do? Does the grey cover have to be pulled all the way up and out? I see the tabs and can get to them OK. Just don't know if I'll be able to get the grey cover all the way off.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:11 PM

2010 E550
MBtech Mission Accomplished

Figured out that the washer fluid tank is in 2 pieces and the front one slides out. Unfortunately these Xenon like bulbs I bought for $25 still look yellow up against the Xenon headlights. Do you know of any aftermarkets that look white like Xenon?
Old 12-28-2001, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
No, I've never seen any halogen bulbs that look just like xenon lights. In fact, all the faux-xenon light bulbs I've seen aren't even as bright as regular halogen lights, so I've just stuck with the factory-spec bulbs.