Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with A/C on 99 C43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C43, 1992 BMW 325iC
Help with A/C on 99 C43

I have a 99 C43 with 70,000 miles. I had a B service completed 3 weeks ago prior to a drive from Chicago to Florida. When I got to Florida and went to use the A/C, as it was 85 degrees, it was only blowing warm air. Also, after a few days in Florida my Brake light was on so I checked the brake fluid level. It was at the Minimum mark in the resevior. I had just had the brake fluid replaced during my B service. My questions are, could the change in temp be responsible for my brake fluid level being at the low end, and can I just "top" off the resevior with DOT 4 brake fluid, Also, as an "easy" fix can I buy a can of R-134a refrigerant & oil with one of the gauges to check the level. I'm hoping that my coolent level is just low and there is nothing wrong with the compressor. I have the can of refrigerant, but can't seem to find the low-pressure port of the A/C system. Does the B service include a check of the A/C system?

Thanks, Brian!
Old 03-07-2007, 10:48 PM

cheaper than a benz...
you may have a problem with the brake fluid level sensor...
outside temp shouldnt have a real big factor on brake fluid levels...often the fluid level drops with low brake pads (pads getting close to worn)...
just by reading your brake fluid problem im more inclined to say the brake fluid level sensor may have issues.

as far as checking a/c on a b service...well turn on the a/c to see if it blows cold...if it does its ok, if it blows warm, we note what we find.

there could be other issues with the a/c that could cause it not to come on...
you need to get it properly diagnosed....if you cant find the service port on the a/c well...ask yourself this...do you really know what goes on with an a/c system...??? those r134 charge cans with the gauge isnt the best way to charge the system..unless you know what you are doing..

like i said there are several variables that can cause the a/c not to blow cold....you can charge it with the 134 if you wish and you may be lucky and get the a/c to work...but if you have an evap temp sensor go out...bad clutch etc on the a/c that could also be the problem...i dont have the car in front of me to properly diagnose it..i can only offer my advice

as far as b service go for checking a/c its not required on the checklist...but if you have a tech that actually checks everything out on the car..hell probably do what i do and just have the car running and check the a/c cooling by turning it on and feeling the air from the vents
Old 03-08-2007, 08:02 AM

1999 C43, 1992 BMW 325iC
Thanks for the ideas....I forgot to mention that I did have the front pads and rotors replaced at the B service. I finally found the port on the a/c system and according to the gauge on the can I was low on refrigerant so I charged per the cans instructions. We'll see what happens.....
Old 03-08-2007, 06:06 PM

Dumb question, but where is the low side a/c port on a '00 CLK430? Is it drivers side between shock tower and motor? (It's the only port i can see on an a/c line) I need to add refridgerant as well. Thanks!