Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BREAK OVERHEATING in red bold letters!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
BRAKES OVERHEATING in red bold letters!

Hi There...

I've been taking my SL55 AMG to the Moroso race track in Florida, and by the end of the day, I got, in red bold letters, 'BRAKES OVERHEATING, Drive carefully" I did change the brake fluid to Motul 600 before the event.. do anybody have any suggestion? should I change the pads?

Fernando

Last edited by Ferchus7; 03-08-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:36 PM

05 ML350, 85 300D
Your car has SBC..an electric/hydro brake system..so a couple of points
1- a pump is making the pressure- not your foot- hence heat
2- it is telling you the fluid is getting to hot, which will cause boiling and fade and or failure
3- the parts are way expensive, so I would never put anything in that system except what MB says...especially with the new extended warranty on the hydralic unit
4- don't let anyone with out a SDS and trained work on the hydralics of that car..it could be bad
Old 03-08-2007, 10:07 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MBTech21
Your car has SBC..an electric/hydro brake system..so a couple of points
1- a pump is making the pressure- not your foot- hence heat
2- it is telling you the fluid is getting to hot, which will cause boiling and fade and or failure
3- the parts are way expensive, so I would never put anything in that system except what MB says...especially with the new extended warranty on the hydralic unit
4- don't let anyone with out a SDS and trained work on the hydralics of that car..it could be bad

Thank you Tech 21.... what can I do so that doesn't happen any more..?? I'd like to keep driving the car in the track...
Old 03-09-2007, 01:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09 E350 ,
your brakes

inside the sbc hydraulic unit it has pressure sensors, the heating of the brake fluid causes expansion causing the light to come on ,its just an estimated value ,the pump cycles fluid often ,also i wouldn't recommend that you ever take it to the dealership with that type of fluid ,for any type of warranty brake service repairs.also did the pedal pulsate when this was happening if so it is normal and was not abs just some valve releasing hot fluid

Last edited by tcesario; 03-09-2007 at 01:42 AM. Reason: need to add a question
Old 03-09-2007, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by tcesario
did the pedal pulsate when this was happening if so it is normal and was not abs just some valve releasing hot fluid
No pulsating pedal with SBC....try the AMG/211 forums, there's some people there that must track their cars.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by Ferchus7
Thank you Tech 21.... what can I do so that doesn't happen any more..?? I'd like to keep driving the car in the track...
A different fluid may react differently to temperature, but temperature is temperature to the sensor that creates your dashboard display.

You are just reaching the limits of the system.

Kleemann or somebody may have different calipers and/or rotors that dissipate heat a little better, but there's no liquid solution.

More important than a dashboard light is whether your brakes fail.