Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

info on bi-xenons...there is something fishy there

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question info on bi-xenons...there is something fishy there

There seems to be a lot of junk out there and that makes me suspicious. Has anyone out there done a bi-xenon conversion (the right way! :-) ) and could give some advice on what they'd recommend in terms of equipment and results of the conversion? Was it worth the bother? What are the downsides?
Thanks.
Paul

Last edited by phjbbu; 03-12-2007 at 10:52 AM. Reason: forgot to select email notification of responses
Old 03-12-2007, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 183 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The right way is to use Mercedes parts.

WIS has conversion instructions for several models.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:17 PM

WIS? Do you have any additional info how to contact these folks?
Paul
Old 03-12-2007, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 183 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
WIS = Daimler Chrysler's Workshop Information System.

Same procedures are in the Service Manual DVDs for recent Mercedes.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:01 PM

cheaper than a benz...
yes..you can convert the regular halogen lights into xenon...you have to buy xenon headlight assemblies.....price depends on car roughly $1,500.00 per side....you also have to reprogram the SAM unit to tell the car it has XENON lights..if not the lights will not operate properly

some dealers WILL NOT do this conversion..some will...but out of courtesy for the tech who works on the car get the warning stickers under the hood
for the xenon light warning....

those xenon ignitors put out 25,000 volts...

i have done 1 conversion, but the customer already had the headlight assemblies installed..so i charged for reprogramming

if you are going to convert..use MB headlight assemblies
you never told us what car you have.

WIS will only tell you how to remove the headlights...but you need the MB SDS to reprogram the car
Old 03-12-2007, 10:03 PM

cheaper than a benz...
well i looked at your profile you have a 210 and 211 chassis....front bumper will have to come off...
Old 03-12-2007, 10:20 PM

I have a 2002 SLK320 and a 2005 SLK350. I'm new to this forum as of today, so the other numbers you mention (2xx) are alien to me. I am aware of the R170/R171) designations, tho. I have much to learn I can tell!
Paul
Old 03-14-2007, 08:27 PM

I must be missing something in that here is a unit that touts ballasts made by an OEM and it's apparently a plug and play. Here's a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...DME:B:AAQ:US:1

Now, for a few dollars more (how much, I don't know...I've made an inquiry just now and am awaiting a response), one can opt for bi-xenons so that low and high beam both work. That seems to make sense. Have a true set of burners up there (not just xenon gas bulbs) and maintain everything else stock. It seems like an elegantly simple and effective solution. What am I missing?

I am so new to the Benz world that folks have been referring to the SAM in this thread on xenons and I have no clue what that is nor how it relates to the slk's headlights, but I am a licensed professional engineer (mechanical) and I do have a doctorate, so I guess I am teachable if you all are patient with me :-)

BTW: I've also asked the seller if there is a version for the r171's in addition to the one for the r170's in the auction listing.
Paul

Last edited by phjbbu; 03-14-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'01 C320 || '14 Honda Pilot EX-L
Originally Posted by phjbbu
I must be missing something in that here is a unit that touts ballasts made by an OEM and it's apparently a plug and play. Here's a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...DME:B:AAQ:US:1

Now, for a few dollars more (how much, I don't know...I've made an inquiry just now and am awaiting a response), one can opt for bi-xenons so that low and high beam both work. That seems to make sense. Have a true set of burners up there (not just xenon gas bulbs) and maintain everything else stock. It seems like an elegantly simple and effective solution. What am I missing?

I am so new to the Benz world that folks have been referring to the SAM in this thread on xenons and I have no clue what that is nor how it relates to the slk's headlights, but I am a licensed professional engineer (mechanical) and I do have a doctorate, so I guess I am teachable if you all are patient with me :-)

BTW: I've also asked the seller if there is a version for the r171's in addition to the one for the r170's in the auction listing.
Paul
Those are not OEM headlights and I would stay away from them. eBay parts cause many problems as addressed in various threads on this forum. The only way IMO is to go OEM.

I could be wrong, but I am not aware of a Bi-Xenon for the SLK. I thought that they only had regular xenon, but someone who knows more may chime in on this one.

The SAM or Signal Acquisition Module is what people are referring to. In the SAM there is a setting for Xenon that needs to be set to present for Xenon lights to funtion in the correct manner.

Bottom line, stick to OEM on upgrades, you will be happier in the long run.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
If you are in the US or Europe you need two more systems installed beyond the headlight assemblies. You need to change the bumper to fit the headlamp washer nozzles, and add the pump/heater to operate them. You will need the switch assembly for the dash to activate the washers. You then need a harness and two axel assemblies for the self leveling function.

Many people who do OEM conversions skip these steps, and the lamps work fine, but you might dazzle oncoming traffic. Most dealers will not do it because of the liability if someone should get hurt, and the car did not comply with FMVSS 108 or the relavent European directive.

For me I don't see the advantage. I see just as well with them, as without. The Bix is a wee bit "whiter." As an $ 800 package option on a new car it might be worth getting for the "gee, golly" factor. On the other hand, to pay about $ 3,000. for OEM parts (plus the bumper!!!) is a bit steep.

Aftermarket units should be left alone. None has ever passed even the most cursory glance concerning safety or performance. Better to take the cash to Vegas, put it on red.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 154 Posts
99 E320
Forum member Zam2000 has done the most retrofitting of HID projectors that
I'm aware of. I've done 5, to-date. What we've done is to take Depo (Taiwan)
headlights, removed the clear outer lens, tossed the poor Depo designed [sic]
halogen projector, and fitted in E55 or RS6 HID bixenon projector into the Depo.
Shy of buying OEM HID, this...i opine...is the proper way to get HID into your
car with quality. The worst thing you can do is to toss in an HID kit. These
projects are done mostly for W210 given their inherant ease of retrofitting.

p.s. the nice thing about this retrofit is that when the bix shutter is activated,
it put out one helluva full beam....and the H7 high beam compliments that HID
as well (well, as much as it can).