Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My problems with 2001 E55: need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB, BMW
My problems with 2001 E55: need help

I've got the following problems and I'd like to fix em DIY as much as possible. Any guidance is much appreciated. thanks in advance

Problems:
1. There are 2 tiny rust spots developing on the trunk, next to the plastic strip above the license plate on each end. I will have a bodyshop touch this up. I checked door seals, rocker panels, spring perch, etc but no rust elsewhere (fingers crossed)

2. Instrument cluster: the right side of the cluster does not illuminate at night. I think if I figure out how to pull the cluster out, I can replace some bulbs.

3. The outside temp display reads "+ 79* - " or something. way too high. Also the pixels are going out. I checked the temp sensor by the driver's fog light, but it seems to be intact and mounted properly.

4. Washer fluid tank leak. When I fill the tank all the way, everything just leaks out. but when i fill it up about 1/3 way only, no leak..?? are some seals broken?

5. Steering wheel squeak/groaning: I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the steering column. when i turn both ways, the wheel squeaks/moans.

6. SOS light illuminated, and OBC display 2 errors: "SOS warning, see autoshop" and "SOS, malfunction". How do u get rid of this?

7. Passenger side rear tire is worn much more than other 3 tires. Normal?
Old 03-18-2007, 02:21 AM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
Originally Posted by ProV1
I've got the following problems and I'd like to fix em DIY as much as possible. Any guidance is much appreciated. thanks in advance

Problems:
1. There are 2 tiny rust spots developing on the trunk, next to the plastic strip above the license plate on each end. I will have a bodyshop touch this up. I checked door seals, rocker panels, spring perch, etc but no rust elsewhere (fingers crossed)

2. Instrument cluster: the right side of the cluster does not illuminate at night. I think if I figure out how to pull the cluster out, I can replace some bulbs.

3. The outside temp display reads "+ 79* - " or something. way too high. Also the pixels are going out. I checked the temp sensor by the driver's fog light, but it seems to be intact and mounted properly.

4. Washer fluid tank leak. When I fill the tank all the way, everything just leaks out. but when i fill it up about 1/3 way only, no leak..?? are some seals broken?

5. Steering wheel squeak/groaning: I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the steering column. when i turn both ways, the wheel squeaks/moans.

6. SOS light illuminated, and OBC display 2 errors: "SOS warning, see autoshop" and "SOS, malfunction". How do u get rid of this?

7. Passenger side rear tire is worn much more than other 3 tires. Normal?
2. You have a backlight bulb out inside the cluster. You will need the cluster hooks to get it out without tearing anything up.

3. It is possible that your temp probe in the front bumper could be failing with an incorrect resistance causing the improper display or it could be possible that your display's pixels could be going out.

4. Check to see where the leak is. There are rubber grommets around the washer pumps that get old and hard and over time will not seal properly. Also, it could be that your reservoir has a crack along the seam somewhere.

5. Are you sure it is from the steering wheel and not from something inside the power steering system that you are just feeling in the steering wheel? Make sure your p/s fluid is full. Also, if it is coming from the steering wheel for sure then I would suspect the clock spring between the steering column and the back of the steering wheel.

6. This means that your teleaid system has a problem when it says that there is a malfunction. If you don't subscribe to teleaid or ever need to use it, there is a way that the dealer can go into the system and turn it off. However, not all cars can get this warning turned off, it really just needs to be hooked up at a dealer and anyone that knows these cars can poke around and find the setting to turn it off or tell the car that the system is "not present".

7. Very normal. Just about every Mercedes I see except for the SUVs will do this exact same thing. It really just has to do with how heavy of a foot you have and how regularly you rotate your tires, eventhough I know you can't do this with the stock staggered wheel setup on these cars.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Racin fool: For #2, are you sure this is as simple as bulb replacement? I did have instrument cluster problem before... but some people here + stealership consistently told me that I had to replace the entire instrument cluster.

Cost me $1200 for parts & labor
Old 03-21-2007, 10:24 AM

C230K
There are lots of good tutorials on the various forums which will show you how to easily remove the cluster yourself. Just do a little searching. You can replace the bulb easily. Additionally, you can probably fix the messed up display by reading the following:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showt...cluster+ribbon
Old 03-21-2007, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 183 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by Racin_fool
6. This means that your teleaid system has a problem when it says that there is a malfunction. If you don't subscribe to teleaid or ever need to use it, there is a way that the dealer can go into the system and turn it off. However, not all cars can get this warning turned off, it really just needs to be hooked up at a dealer and anyone that knows these cars can poke around and find the setting to turn it off or tell the car that the system is "not present".
If you do choose to activate Teleaid, you'll have to have dealer install a new control unit, as it must now be converted from analog to digital.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:27 AM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
Originally Posted by zoink
Racin fool: For #2, are you sure this is as simple as bulb replacement? I did have instrument cluster problem before... but some people here + stealership consistently told me that I had to replace the entire instrument cluster.

Cost me $1200 for parts & labor
I'd put money on it that it was your problem and just needed a new bulb or two. If they tell you that you need a new cluster, tell them to shove it and drive away.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:28 PM

2000 ML 320, 2003 CBR600F4i, 99 Eclipse GSX
Your squeaking noise is actually coming from the steering rack. It can be rectified by resealing the steering rack, as the noise is caused by the steering input shaft seal.