Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 230 Kompressor SuperCharger Rumble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 c230
Unhappy 99 230 Kompressor SuperCharger Rumble

I have the normal engage and disengage clicks from my Supercharger but am now getting a low grumbling from in the area ....which is gaining in volume at idle. Has anyone ever done maintenance to their supercharger and if so how do I get to it to take a look at the clutch and assembly. I would like to change the oil in the SC but am not sure how to go about it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

99 C230 Komp.
88,000 mi

Last edited by thomas1979; 03-21-2007 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-23-2007, 11:43 PM

99 c43
noise

most likely that noise is coming from the intake cam adjuster
will notice if at idle slightly accelerate rpms you will hear that rumble
Old 03-25-2007, 05:37 AM

1991 300E
Just a possibility but if your unit is the Eaton twin screw, which I believe the K has, it could be the drive coupling within the supercharger snout. I have done two Buick Riviera units which have a bigger version of the same thing and both exhibited the same symptoms. The coupling looks like a hockey puck with something like six holes equally spaced around near the outer edge. It is designed to be the shock-absorber between the drive and the supercharger "screw". It wears out over time and gets sloppy in the holes. To replace it requires pulling the snout off of the unit which will possibly require removal of the supercharger. I found the couplings on ebay for around 25-30$ for the unit on the Buicks. The dealer had told the owner the whole unit would have to be replaced with new for around $1600. Total cost to fix with gaskets, supercharger oil, coolant, coupler, etc... was around $80 but that was for the Buick.
Like I said, it is a possibility. Good Luck,
Mitch