Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I know if I really got a new tranny?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2002 | 12:38 AM

ml320
How do I know if I really got a new tranny?

You were all so helpful several months ago, I'm hoping for more sound advice.

Remember me, I'm the one that drove her ML320 through a grove of trees. Thought for sure my foot was on the brake, yet jumped a curb and threaded 2 trees. Well it was on the brake! MB even agrees and agreed to replace the tranny and repair all of the body damage.

It's been 2 months now, that they've had my car. Went to pick it up today and they did such a hack job on the body work, that I refused to accept it. Over spray, bondo instead of replacing the door skin, completely missed one dent all together, masking tape still on the roof....Hello?

If they did such a poor job on the body work, it makes me wonder if they even replaced the tranny? Is there any way I can know for sure? Would a replacement tranny have different ser #'s.

There is NO WAY I'm putting my 3 little blessings in that car without a new tranny.

Any advice will be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Katie
Old 10-02-2002 | 01:10 PM

ML
Re: How do I know if I really got a new tranny?

Originally posted by Katie
You were all so helpful several months ago, I'm hoping for more sound advice.

Remember me, I'm the one that drove her ML320 through a grove of trees. Thought for sure my foot was on the brake, yet jumped a curb and threaded 2 trees. Well it was on the brake! MB even agrees and agreed to replace the tranny and repair all of the body damage.

It's been 2 months now, that they've had my car. Went to pick it up today and they did such a hack job on the body work, that I refused to accept it. Over spray, bondo instead of replacing the door skin, completely missed one dent all together, masking tape still on the roof....Hello?

If they did such a poor job on the body work, it makes me wonder if they even replaced the tranny? Is there any way I can know for sure? Would a replacement tranny have different ser #'s.

There is NO WAY I'm putting my 3 little blessings in that car without a new tranny.

Any advice will be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Katie
Too bad they did such a poor job. Well, a replacement tranny should have a different part number. Are you sure they didn't mean "rebuilt" tranny?? If you don't have the old part number for the original tranny, ask them to put the truck on a lift and make a visual of the tranny - a new tranny should have a nice shiny bell housing, cleaner than both the engine and other stauff attached to it. Also, check the work order after it's all done. One other thing to try is to take your VIN to another MB shop and ask for them to match the tranny. If the current shop hasn't changed the OEM tranny number in the system yet (and seeing how sloppy they are, chances are that your old tranny # is still matched to your VIN), you may be lucky. let's know how this all turns out.

BTW, what did MB say was wrong with the brakes. This is very scary!!!
Old 10-02-2002 | 02:43 PM

ml320
Thanks for the info about what to look for.

There's nothing wrong with the brakes, except they weren't strong enough to over power the transmission malfunction.

My truck had a previous history of surging and jumping at low speeds and stop signs. It went in for wrnty work previously and they exchanged some computer/electronic componant.

After this incident, the general concensus here was to have it inspected and this is the direct quote from my most recent invoice:

"C.C. from MBUSA has determined that the trans may have been cause of accident. OK'd replacement of Trans Assy. Ordered trans, removed driveshafts, removed transfer case, drained fluid from trans, removed and replaced trans assy, transfered torque converter, reinstalled parts previously removed. Filled with new fluid, test drove and performed adaptations."

The initial inspection found 6 etc codes and the dealership consulted MB on how to procede. MBUSA placed a hold on my truck until their legal department made a decision on how to proceed. That held up repairs for 4 weeks.

Katie