Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General M-B Quality Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2001, 07:01 PM
Ron
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 320 convertible
General M-B Quality Question

We own a 2001 CLK 320 cab and a 2001 E320. The E has had no problems whatsoever and the CLK has been in maybe 5 times for stupid things (vacuum leak in AC, rear bumper re-painted, heater blowers re-programmed, and fuel gauge sender replaced).

So, all in all I am disappointed in the quality of the CLK, not because these aren't being handled under warranty, but I dread the day my car goes out of warranty and the bill comes back at $1285.

My question: once the bugs are worked out of the car, can I expect the years and years of trouble-free motoring I had hoped to expect, or am I due for a trade-in during year 2 with this car?

Interesting how the CLK posters so far outnumber the other forum posters. We either have too much time on our hands or are too neurotic about our cars!

Your thoughts on CLK's appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 12-30-2001, 10:52 AM

2001 CLK 320
MB Quality

Being in the same situation with a 2001 CLK 320 I feel that your question is valid. I sincerely hope that it is just a matter of getting a few bugs out. However, my question is really an extension of yours. I believe that certain items such as wheel alignments and balancing are only covered for the first year. Given that my first anniversary is coming up, is there anything I should absolutely have attended to? I'm guessing that there are certain items that are more easily covered under warranty if reported in the first year, but I'm not sure exactly what is entailed.
Old 12-30-2001, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Re: General M-B Quality Question

Originally posted by Ron
We own a 2001 CLK 320 cab and a 2001 E320. The E has had no problems whatsoever and the CLK has been in maybe 5 times for stupid things (vacuum leak in AC, rear bumper re-painted, heater blowers re-programmed, and fuel gauge sender replaced).
Haha!!! I am sorry for the nuisance problems you have but I can't help but agree that Mb quality has slipped considerably in recent years. My 2001 E430 also had the A/C problem and is going in next week for the fuel sending unit. A few weeks ago the auxiliary fans stayed on continously for sevral hours and I had to disconnect them, let it sit overnight for things to get to normal. No one seems to know what the problem is. I am an engineer and I know that these are NOT design problems. It's purely a quality issue and I hope MB addresses them soon. your E320 is going strong so far and I hope you don't experience any problems with it. Otherwise, I love this car and can't stop driving it.
Old 12-31-2001, 12:44 PM

E55
MB Quality

My 97 E420 has had some costly repairs out of warranty - the A/C system controller and new bushings in the front suspension. These were very expensive of course.

Alll in all I am somewhat disappointed inthe reliability of my car - it's had several trips to the shop for niggling problems. It has not been the solidly built bulletproof car I expected. I can also tell that the body is loosening up with time - there are a few groans that have appeared. I must say that I live in a city with horrible pavement.

I would still buy anothe Mercedes and the reliability is far better than the two BMW's my family has had.
Old 01-01-2002, 02:29 AM

2004 SLK 32 AMG, 2002 E320, 2002 ML320, 1986 Porsche 944
Never had any problems with Benz's I've owned. Well, I've only had 3 new Benz's in 3 years, so my experience is still young. Sorry to hear your problems, but geez, I hope those are more statistical flukes. I bought the Benz for a number of reasons, and reliability was supposed to be one of those reasons.
Old 01-01-2002, 03:18 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 E320 4Matic
Re: MB Quality

Originally posted by corgiman
My 97 E420 has had some costly repairs out of warranty - the A/C system controller and new bushings in the front suspension.
What were the symptoms before the new bushings were installed?
Old 01-01-2002, 05:49 PM

2010 E550
E420 Problems

I had a 97 E420 for a few years and experienced mechanical and electrical problems as you have. This was my third E Class and I was very suprised by the problems I had with the 420. My others were as solid as a rock and very reliable.

My theory on some of the problems is that the 420 was new in 97 and they hadn't worked out all the bugs. Perhaps some evidence of that is that in 98 they went to a 430. I was told this was for emissions reasons by the dealer but I have my doubts.

I traded a month ago for a 98 E430 Sport. I don't know if it's the change to the 430 or the fact that it's a Sport but this 98 E430 handles much better (more nimble) than my 420. Also if you look at the specs it's a full 1/2 second faster in the 0-60.

I must say that I've had good reliabilty experience with the 430 but it only had 25K miles on it when I traded. My 420 had 67K.

How does you 420 Sport handle? Different than a non-sport? Does it have 17" wheels and tires? Mine had 16" but it wasn't a Sport.

Brad
Old 01-02-2002, 03:19 PM

E55
The symptom of the bushing failure was a slight squeak going over small bumps - but the dealer said there were cracks in the bushings on both sides.

My E420 sport has 17" wheels and tires but it was my understanding that the sport package was just cosmetic - body cladding and bumpers and larger wheels and tires but no changes to the suspension, springs etc.

I have a CL on order with the sport package and I understand that it's the same idea - just fancy wheels and tires etc.