Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

300TD swap into ford step van

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hercules TD powered E350 Step Van
300TD swap into ford step van

Looking for some advise on an engine swap. I have a 82 E350 Ford Step Van with a Hercules Turbo Diesel. It'll barely hit 57mph, and on any grade it falls on it's face.
I don't want to offend the Mercedes purists but I believe the engine is all that is left that is good.
I have spotted a neglected 1980's 300 TurboDiesel sedan that seems to run pretty good. Couldn't take it out for a drive. 307,000 on the odo. Does show signs of seepage around the lower end. Engine shutoff doesn't work and the seller says there are some vacuum lines that need replacing. Shows a little blowby at the oil filler.
My main questions are, Am I opening a can of worms by wanting this MB TD in my van? What can I expect out of the auto trans? should I have it looked at while its out? Also how much electronics are involved with these engines? My first look tells me that most external functions of the engine share the same placement with whats onboard now.
From all that I have read so far I would be gaining about 25-35 HP. Doesn't sound like much but I believe it'll do.
I had planned on running either Bio-diesel or some form of Veg. and it looks to be the Mercedes Engine is more than suited for the task.
Thanks in advance

scott
Old 05-20-2007, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hercules TD powered E350 Step Van
No help here eh? Anybody have a suggested direction to turn? I love the idea of a reliable modern engine rather than a WWII era military castoff.
At least I can't hear you laugh when you see the Hercules name. Diesel guys around here have done just that.