Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - AC Fuse keeps popping - SL500 (R230)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP - AC Fuse keeps popping - SL500 (R230)

My AC Fuse on my SL500 (R230) keeps popping. Unfortunately I live in Africa and we do not have a Benz dealer here. The fuse was originally a red 10-amp fuse and it popped twice so I replaced it with a 20-amp fuse and it still keep popping.
Can someone let me know why this is a problem? Should I replace it with a 30-amp? Does some kind of AC-filter needs to be cleaned or something which may be the result of the fuse popping?
I know in my home if the filters are old or clogged up then my main circuit-breaker switch will trip. Not sure if this is the same case with the SL.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by super_SL500
My AC Fuse on my SL500 (R230) keeps popping. Unfortunately I live in Africa and we do not have a Benz dealer here. The fuse was originally a red 10-amp fuse and it popped twice so I replaced it with a 20-amp fuse and it still keep popping.
Can someone let me know why this is a problem? Should I replace it with a 30-amp? Does some kind of AC-filter needs to be cleaned or something which may be the result of the fuse popping?
I know in my home if the filters are old or clogged up then my main circuit-breaker switch will trip. Not sure if this is the same case with the SL.
Well if you continue to go up on amps it will most likely continue popping, I suggest sticking to 10-amp & if it continues to pop then you might a short somewhere or a ground is touching.

I do not own a Benz, but that is just my basic knowledge with working with speakers and fuses/wires.

-Good luck!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by TeinTSX
Well if you continue to go up on amps it will most likely continue popping, I suggest sticking to 10-amp & if it continues to pop then you might a short somewhere or a ground is touching...................
-Good luck!
I thought it was the reverse??? If I go UP in amps then doesn't that make the wire inside the fuse thicker which is less likely to pop?
Old 06-12-2007, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Never install a higher rated fuse as a fix for one that's blowing. A blown fuse is a symptom of a bigger problem....usually a short somewhere in the circuitry. If you continue down your present path you'll end up with more problems than you started. Find out what that fuse services and go from there.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 C450
It will most likely be a short in the power line going to your AC compressor. Follow the line and look for a short to ground. Don't put bigger fuses in unless you want to melt a harness.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:56 AM

All Wrong Answers

Sorry guys, none of the suggestions/comments were even close. Got the problem fixed and it works flawless now......it was never a short.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
So what was it?