Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I married into a Mercedes... need help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Corvette, 2002 MB C230 Coupe
I married into a Mercedes... need help!

I am new to the Mercedes world as I am typically a Chevy guy. My wife has a 2002 Mercedes C230 Kompressor Coupe and it has a few things I need to take care of on the car.

My first few basic questions are:
What is included in the service A?
What is included in the Service B?

Also, the car has a check engine light on and the code is:
-po412
-po410
Does anyone have any ideas what might cause this?

Also, she has been having some issues with the panoramic sunroof. It would not open for the last 6 months then all of a sudden yesterday she tried the switch and it would open a few inches and then stop then if she released the switch and pressed it again it would go a little more. Then today I drove it and the roof works perfectly. Do you think the switch is going bad?

The car is also having issues with the blower for the heating and AC. During the winter it has a hard time switching to the feet. Any ideas what might cause this?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance from an MB newbie!
Old 06-13-2007, 01:08 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
Flexible Service System - A-Service

- Change your vehicle's engine oil and filter
- Replace the dust filter in all SLK, CLK, C-Class and E-Class models
- Ensure the warning and indicator lamps, horn, windshield/headlamp
wiper and washer systems, and seat belts are functioning correctly
- Inspect tires and check tire pressure (including spare)
- Inspect brake pad thickness and disc condition
- Check and correct all fluid levels
- Reset your vehicle's FSS counter
*Model year 1998 through 2006 vehicles are equipped with the Flexible Service System (FSS)

Flexible Service System - B-Service

- Change your vehicle's engine oil and filter
- Replace the dust filter in all SLK, CLK, C-Class and E-Class models,
and in S-Class and SL-Class models without the active charcoal filter
- Replace windshield wiper inserts
- Inspect and rotate tires
- Lubricate and inspect throttle linkage
- Ensure the parking brake, steering play, headlamps and exterior lamps,
warning and indicator lamps, horn, windshield/headlamp wiper and washer
systems, seat belts, and backrest lock (S-Class only) are functioning correctly
- Inspect tires and check tire pressure (including spare)
- Inspect brake pad thickness and disc condition
- Inspect front axle ball joints and Poly-V-belt
- Check and correct all fluid levels
- Reset your vehicle's FSS counter
*Model year 1998 through 2006 vehicles are equipped with the Flexible Service System (FSS)
Old 06-13-2007, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
The codes are a fault with the secondary air injection system (catalyst preheat). There was a recall for a bad relay that was killing the pump, but I don't recall what models and years were covered. I'd find out from the dealer. In some states it would be covered by a polution-related warranty extension in any case.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:56 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for the info guys! These Benz's are a whole different ballgame from a Corvette!
Old 06-14-2007, 03:54 PM

05 CLK 500 cab
Panorama roof: The roof module (in the switch panel) in the CL230 was the subject of a service bulletin and a replacement under warranty. The symptoms of a bad roof module are as you describe. This is likely to mean a trip to the dealer, who has to plug in his computer to verify the fault. Could easily be combined with your trip in for the engine codes.

HVAC: The air direction switch and the fan speed switch are disabled in Auto mode. Take the car off "Auto" mode by turning off the light (push the button). The temperature control will still work and remains on automatic but you can now control air direction. Turn the fan to high and use the manual settings on the air direction dial to verify that the system switches easily between the floor, vents and windshield. If it does, your issue is likely to be with the way the engineers programmed the Auto setting. If the air direction responds to the switch and your wife wants more heat at her feet, she can use the manual settings to get what she wants.

Last edited by lars; 06-14-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
What's a CL230M? There's certainly no CL class with the 2.3. Is it a local designation for a C230?
Old 06-15-2007, 10:30 AM

C230K
The sunroof issue could be as simple as the sunroof just needing to be resyncronized. It is a simple procedure and should be detailed in your owner's manual.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:46 PM

05 CLK 500 cab
Originally Posted by whoover
What's a CL230M? There's certainly no CL class with the 2.3. Is it a local designation for a C230?
It's what my MB sales agreement says I bought. It's a C230K coupe, manual.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by lars
It's what my MB sales agreement says I bought. It's a C230K coupe, manual.
Interesting. What does the badge on the rear read? I suspect MB wouldn't badge a C coupe "CL." I guess it's some internal designation I've never seen before. Any idea what the "L" means? I wonder if Quebec found something discriminatory in the normal model number?

There's a long history of francophones harrassing German auto makers. First the French put Ferdinand Porsche in prison, then in the sixties Peugeot made them change the model 901 to 911. They had copyrighted all three digit numbers with a zero in the middle. If you remember the Peugeot 505 of the era, you know it wouldn't likely lose sales to the 911 because of customers confusing the names.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Lars, I really appreciate your help. With the HVAC, whether it is in auto mode or not if you try to put it to the feet it will try to blw the air at the feet and sometimes it works and sometimes it will not work. It will try for a few minutes and then it gives up and blows out the dash vents. It is very weird.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:16 PM

05 CLK 500 cab
Yes, weird and not too encouraging. It suggests to me that the air direction switch unit could be faulty but that's just a guess.

In the good old days, when I could fix electrical problems myself, switches were hard wired to the controlled unit. I think now they just send signals down the bus. I had a bad turn signal switch that would sometimes flash no lights at all, sometimes the wrong side and sometimes it would switch sides mid-stream or stop working. Changing out the switch solved the problem, but it was done while the warranty was still active.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Almost a Member!

No offense to anyone on this board but the more I learn about these Benz's the more I dislike them!!! I told my wife she is getting a Chevy next but she did not like that very much !
Old 06-22-2007, 11:56 PM

Sunroof problems

I bought my C230 Kompressor basically for the power and the cool panoramic sunroof ~ which is now defunkt! It started making a terrible (yes, squeaking styrofoam) kind of noise and then hung up half way open. That first trip to the dealership cost me $750 for a new motor. Then 4 openings later, it started doing the same thing. This time the dealership tells me I need to have the whole unit replaced at an estimated cost of $3200! Needless to say, I had them close the thing and am now driving sunroof "less". Keeping my eyes open for any recalls or class action suits. I've been told that this panoramic sunroof problem is not unusual on my model. Anyone else experience the same sort of thing??
Old 06-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Almost a Member!

This car has had all sorts of problems with the roof, including having the whole roof replaced once already(luckily under warranty)!