Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking Time Bomb in Trunk?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320
Exclamation Ticking Time Bomb in Trunk?

Hi all, new on here with question regarding a ticking sound in trunk...

model: C320
year: 2001
my guess: rear SAM unit? brake switch?

As of two days ago, while driving, got a *FAULTY DISPLAY* message. Gas Gauge lamp came on and turn signals would not function--all else appeared okay.

Upon stopping, trunk would not open and key fob failed to open windows or unlock. Alarm also began to go off, though was able to eventually silence it by pulling *FUSE 8* I also recieved a *BAS MALFUNCTION* as well *ESP MALFUNCTION* I corrected the ESP by doing the steering wheel reset method. I checked the fuses and they were all okay... I did a factory reset of the vehicle options as well.

Upon replacing the fuse I reset all the windows and roof as well power seats. messed with the turn signals while moving the key in various positions and eventually got everything including the gas gauge to read properly. During this process a ticking noise was audible from the trunk fuse box. When the ticking slowed everything became normal again.

The problem is that for the past two days around 3 PM the parked car will pop the trunk by itself and set off the alarm which will not disable without pulling the fuse or coaxing it withn the key fob and turning the key in the ignition. The trunk also will not close, as it appears latched and can not be manually opened either.

As far as the 3 PM being a constant for the car to go crazy, I'd prefer a smaller alarm clock! I've considered experimenting with the clock to see if that affects anything in terms of the car's electronic tantrums...

QUESTIONS:
1. Can I manually reset the SAM in any way myself? (will not be home to visit a dealer for some time!)

2. Can I manually reset the BAS in some manner?

3. Does anyone have instructions on how to change the brake switch?

4. Can I unlock the trunk from the inside (as if someone were trapped inside safety precaution method) in order to overide the open trunk not latching problem?

If anyone can help, it would be appreciated!!!
Old 06-21-2007, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by jmr071880
3. Does anyone have instructions on how to change the brake switch? 4. Can I unlock the trunk from the inside (as if someone were trapped inside safety precaution method) in order to overide the open trunk not latching problem?]

Hope I never experience the same thing. A question.....did you recently change the battery? If not done properly the rear SAM can blow, as experienced by several people here. Do you mean brake light switch? They're usually in the cabin, under the dash, activated by the brake pedal but I don't understand the connection to your problems. The trunk safety button is for getting out of the trunk...try pushing it when the trunk pops and see what happens
Old 08-11-2007, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320
update

The car was jumped by a MB service tech. The car has been intermittently fine for the past couple weeks, though last night the rear tail lights remained on and eventually burnt out the battery again.

I believe it is an issue with the SAM unit, which after taking apart the trunk lining, found the ticking sound to have been coming from the black box located driver's side trunk.

Does anyone is the Arlington, VA area have a Star Scanner to help me out?