Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C was recharged today, but still blows hot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C was recharged today, but still blows hot

I took my 2001 E55 to an independent shop today to have the A/C serviced. It hasn't worked since last summer.

They seem to think that mechanically everything is sound. There was virtually ZERO freon in the system, so they charged it up.

However, it still won't blow cold. The mechanics admit that they don't know how to "reset" the system, and the MB techs on the phone didn't seem to want to help them figure it out.

Long story short, I have the car back, blowing hot air. They only charged me $41 to inspect and fill the freon, because they couldn't finish the job.

Can anyone help me figure out what's wrong?

Here's the A/C diagnostics done after the fact:

1. 93
2. 109
3. 91
4. 91
5. 93
6. 190
7. 01
8. 107
9. 27

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2007, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Zero freon?? You have a leak somewhere. Its sensless to refill until you are prepared to address the leak. As for not working after the refill which it should have even for a short time, find yourself another A/C shop even perhaps an MB dealer. If they do not know the system they should not touch it.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:12 PM

mercedes c 230 kompresor 1999 and c 230 2007
Could be a leak in the condenser, but it could be also that mechanic put too much gas and then the system to protect itself does not work at all. In such a case some gas have to be removed and then it will work.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:24 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 C450
Is your 'EC' light on constantly?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by jwolff
I took my 2001 E55 to an independent shop today to have the A/C serviced. It hasn't worked since last summer.

They seem to think that mechanically everything is sound. There was virtually ZERO freon in the system, so they charged it up.

However, it still won't blow cold. The mechanics admit that they don't know how to "reset" the system, and the MB techs on the phone didn't seem to want to help them figure it out.

Long story short, I have the car back, blowing hot air. They only charged me $41 to inspect and fill the freon, because they couldn't finish the job.

Can anyone help me figure out what's wrong?

Here's the A/C diagnostics done after the fact:

1. 93
2. 109
3. 91
4. 91
5. 93
6. 190
7. 01
8. 107
9. 27

Thanks!
#7 is the state of charge 01 is empty. Any shop that charges an A/C system with out checking for leaks is incompetent. You have been taken, go to a reputable shop. The refrigerant has leaked out, you have a leak that is the only way to lose the refrigerant, you must fix the leak. Your system has been open too long not to have other problems too (now you have moisture in the system), you should never leave your A/C system uncharged for even a day. Your shop did you a disservice by charging your system with out a vacuum down and a new drier, they have cost you.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:00 PM

first off you have a leak,, secondly you cannot just put gas in if there was no refrigerant because the system is contaminated with air, which is a non condensable, you have to thoroughly evacuate the system and charge freon 134a in liquid form due to it being an azeotropic compound ( more than one kind of gas) hope i helped you......... matthew
Old 08-12-2007, 11:40 AM

GLK 350
jwolff, you have been swindled out of the 40 odd Dollars you paid for the service. As it was said before, your system should not have been charged without drawing a vacuum first at which point the AC shop would have seen that there was a leak. If the leak is just a bad seal somewhere, it could be fixed somewhat cheaply. Even if it is just a bad seal the drier should be replaced after the system has been exposed to air for that long. It is a good idea to replace the expansion valve along with the drier anytime you do work on the system as the expansion valve is not that expensive and can save you money over having to open the system up again for a sticking valve. Most of the moisture will boil out of the system during a prolonged vacuum and a few people use this as an excuse not to replace the drier, I have seen it before. Others will take the drier off an bake it in the oven to get the moisture out. None of these methods are recommended. I would just bite the bullet and get a new drier and expansion valve and get the system fixed right. You need to take your car to a reputable repair shop in your area. Use the forum for recommendations or you can contact the Mobile Airconditioning Society (MACS) or check out their membership listing at macsw.org.

I guess to make a long story short, do not save on the wrong end with your AC repair. A job not done right will cost you more money in the long run.