Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MB heritage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 E-550 4-matic Sport; '15 RAM, '15 X3, '15 Charger SRT
MB heritage

I have ordered my second MB (E-550 Sport) and was wondering what long time MB owners and techs think about the fact that MB was designed to run at autobahn speeds for hours compared to say Japanese cars. I believe that MB has quite a margin of safety on American roads (or anywhere) due to larger brakes, beefier parts, air cleaners, etc.

When comparing to other makes of cars does MB really have an advantage in technical and engineering respects? Does a car made in autobahn land really have any advantages over countries with speed limits under 80 mph - say U.S., UK and Japan?
Old 08-01-2007, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 186 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
When I participated in the MBCA 50th Anniversary Tour last summer, we visited

Birthplace of Daimler
Daimler's 1st Workshop
Benz's 1st Workshop
AMG
Classic Center
Sindlefingen Customer Center and S-class prod line
Maybach Center/McLaren SLR Center
V-engine production line
Unterturkheim test track
Mercedes Museum

Saw LeMans, Indy 500, Mille Miglia, DTM, and Formula 1 winners. Saw cars in Classic Center in for modifications belonging to Dubai and Spain royals. Saw a Popemobile and Princess Di's SL. At AMG, saw them building the racers that are next step beyond Black Editions.

Let's see you do anything comparable vis a vis another brand.

BTW, the test track includes the famed 90-degree wall and I rode a new CL around it at 90 mph. Wife did it in a Mercedes bus. Others in twin-turbo V12 SL. Bus driver also demonstrated bus handling by several left-right steering inputs that had the bus almost fishtailing but which was nicely controlled by onboard systems. Tried the wet skid pad with ESP on and ESP off.

Mercedes makes cars; others pretend.
Attached Thumbnails MB heritage-w124201sig2uk.jpg  

Last edited by lkchris; 08-01-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 E-550 4-matic Sport; '15 RAM, '15 X3, '15 Charger SRT
Heritage

I see what you mean. Except for my previous E-class most of my knowledge has been vicarious insofar as MB. While my current purchase of a 550 shows my satisfaction I guess many consumers are always trying to validate their decisions. As long as MB stays true to breed no one (except maybe BMW) has their real world experience or dedication to engineering.

Some years ago I told a salesman, who had 15 yrs. experience and sold both MB and BMW, that I was trying to decide between an E-430 and a 540i. While perhaps giving a handling edge to the Bimmer he said a MB is built like a vault and implied I might like it better long term. Never drove the 540 but am still happy with my decision.