Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Screen Removal: Any Gains To Be Had?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55 AMG, 2.8L Quattro, Softail Nostalgia 1550 (Stage III), Sporster (slammed)
Intake Screen Removal: Any Gains To Be Had?

I have noticed that the M272 3.5L motor has two screens on the intake tract. Now I agree that screens on the intake work to smooth out the intake flow of air for more accurate MAF readings and help accelerate the charge for better cylinder filling (which are very good things), but two screens back-to-back seems excessive. There is one on the upper plenum side and another 4" away on the mouth of the MAF sensor on the manifold side. Has anyone found any gains removing one? I would guess the one on the upper intake plenum side is superfluous if any.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
You're not smarter than Mercedes engineers, I'm not smarter than Mercedes engineers, no one who ever has or ever will post on this forum is smarter than Mercedes engineers.

The smart thing is to leave it alone.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55 AMG, 2.8L Quattro, Softail Nostalgia 1550 (Stage III), Sporster (slammed)
Originally Posted by lkchris
You're not smarter than Mercedes engineers, I'm not smarter than Mercedes engineers, no one who ever has or ever will post on this forum is smarter than Mercedes engineers.

True, true. And I am intending to leave them alone ... unless there's some hidden HP in there. I am amazed at how well designed their cars are. Just changing your oil is a pleasure! But I am also not controlled by CAFE rules, corporate MPG standards or broad drive-ability requirements. So while the things may be needed for emissions or drive-ability reasons, I'd yank them in a heart beat if it will help performance yet still allow me to get my inspections.

So again, any heard of getting any gains from an aggressive "screen reduction" program?
Old 08-04-2007, 05:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Originally Posted by lkchris

Advances in automotive engineering are not made in Detroit, Tokyo or Bavaria. They are made on race tracks around the world and by motorcar enthusiasts - people like you and me, trying something different. You’re correct in that I am not smarter than a Mercedes engineer, but there are some damned smart people on this forum, and other forums, that do know at least as much as the Mercedes engineer.

That aside, Mercedes has not been a very smart company in the last 15 years. Their reputation has been badly tarnished by poor engineering, inappropriate materials selection, sloppy manufacturing workmanship and a corporate structure more interested in the Deutsche Mark than engineering excellence.

Now if you’re talking about pre 80’s Mercedes (any model, in my opinion), then you and I are in full agreement. Outstanding engineering that is top of class and built to last. But modern-day MB’s could use a little improvement. Why there are two screens on the engine, I have no idea. Perhaps someone on this forum, or other forums, might know. Then the question would be answered.

Finally, if the guy wants to risk his own car in the pursuit of, perhaps, making an improvement, what’s it to you? It’s not your car he’s tinkering with.