Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

83 300CD AC Center Vents Not Blowing-How do I Fix them?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2007 | 12:02 AM

1980 MBZ 300SD, 03 Audi A8, 97 Volvo 960
83 300CD AC Center Vents Not Blowing-How do I Fix them?

Hi. I have an 83 300 CDT with 172k miles and an automatic. The center air conditioning vents do not blow under any conditions. All of the other functions of the control buttons seem to get the right responses, defrost, heat, etc blow out of the correct vents. But when I call for ac, the two end vents blow plus the defrost outlets blow. The center vents do not. I took out the glove compartment box to see if I could get to anything, but that side seems too cluttered and tight to enable a reach to the solenoid in back of the vents. My questions are:

1. Am I on the right track looking at the solenoid?

2. Is it easier to access this part with the instrument panel removed?

Any help and or suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks!
Norm
Old 08-26-2007 | 11:15 PM

1980 MBZ 300SD, 03 Audi A8, 97 Volvo 960
Center Vents-Manual Solution-It works !!

Originally Posted by gtl diesel
Hi. I have an 83 300 CDT with 172k miles and an automatic. The center air conditioning vents do not blow under any conditions. All of the other functions of the control buttons seem to get the right responses, defrost, heat, etc blow out of the correct vents. But when I call for ac, the two end vents blow plus the defrost outlets blow. The center vents do not. I took out the glove compartment box to see if I could get to anything, but that side seems too cluttered and tight to enable a reach to the solenoid in back of the vents. My questions are:

1. Am I on the right track looking at the solenoid?

2. Is it easier to access this part with the instrument panel removed?

Any help and or suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks!
Norm
I found that if I insert a screwdriver ( a long one) in to either of the vents and I push on an angle from top to bottom, I can push open the flap door that is not opening and cause the air to come out of the vents. It lasts as long as the air is on and the motor is on. When you re-start or turn the system off and then on again, you have to do the same thing over. But....it works and is a lot easier than taking the dash apart to fix it.