Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does the car smell so bad when it rains?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C230 Kompressor
Why does the car smell so bad when it rains?

Hi folks, first-time poster here. I have a 2004 C230 Kompressor.

I have noticed this past year that whenever it rains, the interior of my car smells really bad...like spoiled milk. It's not unbearable, but it does smell pretty bad. It also happens to a lesser degree when the days are very hot (100+ days). Does anyone have any idea what's causing it and how I can rid of it?

One thing to note...I think I started to notice it after we had our first son, about two years ago. Could it be that milk has gotten soaked in somewhere, somehow? But, even so, I figure the smell would go away at some point or another, no?

Old 08-22-2007, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
take it to the dealer, i am pretty sure it is a known issue by MB.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
It is possible for the AC evaporator (and the surrounding ductwork) to grow organic crud that smells under certain conditions. Leaves and other accumulated debris aggrevates the problem.

Assuming the debris is not an issue, an easy solution is to activate the AC, cover the interior and spray fungicide into the fresh air intake to vanquish the crud. It works pretty well.

Also, has the vehicle been inspected for concealed dirty diapers?
Old 08-22-2007, 05:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
BMW E30. I've turned to the dark side.
An other thing that will contribute to this issues is leaving your temp settings at "low" and turning the blower speed down when you get too cold in the summer. the lower volume of airflow past the very cold evaporator allows too much moisture to remain in the evaporator case when you turn the car off. This gives any bacteria plenty to grow with. One other tip is to turn the A/C off with the blower on for a minute before shutting off the car- for example, when you turn down your steet to your house, and let some of that moisture clear out. It is a known issue as someone else posted but the only real repair is done by the owners changing their habits.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:51 PM

Mercedes C230 Kompressor
That does not sound too good...or healthy. If the bacteria is cleanable, I'll definitely go get that checked out and taken care of. Good points regarding the prevention of that from happening again. Thanks!

And I looked around for any stray diapers, and none were found. Regardless, the foul smell only happens when it rains.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:02 PM

2002 C230 Kompressor, Capri Blue
Sounds very unhealthy and mold related. I would have the dealer check ASAP., for everyones sake.