Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having to add engine oil in new GL 320 CDI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 10:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
Having to add engine oil in new GL 320 CDI

We have owned our GL 320 CDI for about 2 weeks and have driven approx 1500 miles. Our first long trip was a 200 mile trip and after 100 miles of driving "check oil at next gas fill up" warning sign came on (odometer was at approx 500 miles at this time). We checked the oil level and found it below the max level indicator. We added a quart of oil and the car was fine for few days. This Friday same warning came on again after we drove the car for 100 some miles (900 total miles on car), checked for oil level but the level was fine. Called MBservice and they thought maybe we have a bad sensor. Yesterday we drove the car again for approx 100 miles and same warning came on again. This time however the oil level was down and we added a quart. Now I am wondering if the car is burning oil when driven at Highway speeds for extended period. Is anyone else having same problems? any ideas??
Old 08-26-2007, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
Check the oil level both manually and through the instrument clustor when the engine in cold and vehicle on level ground.

It is perfectly normal for these engine to burn oil up until the first service. Having to top it up twice already is a little on the excessive side. Have you been doing long freeway trips in your first 1500 miles? If so then you need to be giving the engine more load as the light loads is preventing the piston rings from bedding in.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
Well the car is at dealer today. It might be a sensor problem not oil buring or leaking problem. No visible signs of oil leak anywhere. We drove almost 700 miles yesterday, check engine oil warning kept coming on after every 100 or so miles. We checked oil level every time and it seemed to be holding up. I think the first 2 quarts that we added were probably combination of new vehicle oil use and maybe us overfilling a bit.. because the level indicator showed just below max and per service the proper level should be midway between max and min. Will post more once dealer checks it out. Thanks for your guidance
Old 08-30-2007, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180
My C class run for 25,000 km and the oil sensor came up and when I checked it it was below min. I added 2 quarts and brought it midway min and max. Do you think the engine was damaged with such low oil level? THe dealer did not see alarmed by that.