Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mercedes diagnostics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c class
Question Mercedes diagnostics

I have a C200, w202 1996 which has developed an intermittent fault. From cold it starts but come the first junction where I come to a stop, the engine becomes lumpy and cuts out. it may do this three or four time from then on but then clears and is fine from then on.

I have spoken with my usual garage, another 'trade' friend, even independent Merc dealers and none have any ideas.

It has been suggested that I should use a main dealer and pay around £150 to have then plug into the ICU. However, no-one seems to think it will disclose the fault, only give an idea.

My question is simple - how accurate would the MB dealership diagnostics be with my vehicle
Old 09-15-2007, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by imgoingbarmy
My question is simple - how accurate would the MB dealership diagnostics be with my vehicle
If they caught it in the act of failing it would probably be accurate. Otherwise, if the motor is running properly, there would be little chance of finding the problem. Intermittent problems are always hard to find. £150 seems overpriced for a diagnostic scan though.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 183 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
A just-started (cold) engine has to run rich for a bit.

In the old days this was called "choke" but the concept is still valid and is still implemented, albiet with electronic control.

Sounds like yours stops being rich too soon. That is, before engine is sufficiently warmed up.

This could be a vacuum leak or some electronic problem involving the sensor that measures temperature or the components that create rich mixture.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11 ML350
It sound line the vacuum line going to the brake booster has a bad check valve in it.