Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S500 Valve Cover Oil Leak 113.966 Motor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 S500 4matic, 2004 CL55 AMG, 1986 560SEC
S500 Valve Cover Oil Leak 113.966 Motor

I just purchased a 2006 S500 4matic and did a once over this morning to check for any obvious issues. The only thing I noticed out of the ordinary is that I have a leak on the left side valve cover. Now this isn't the main valve cover gasket or seal between the main valve cover and the head but it's the 'upper' valve cover (for a lack of a better term). This cover bolts to the top of the main left valve cover and it also houses the oil filler cap for the engine.
Can anyone tell me if this cover has a specific gasket or is it just sealed with RTV? It looks like it's just silicone RTV and not an actual gasket.
I have the factory MB service DVD but it really lacks in the detail department. I cannot find any passage that even talks about this cover on top of the valve covers (the right side has one too, only smaller).
Can anyone shed some light on this?
I don't want to take it apart unless I have the appropriate parts to re-assemble it.
Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
Elm
Old 09-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Welcome to the forum. Your S500 4matic is a formidable and highly desirable car. Wishing you many pleasant miles.

The part number for the LH cylinder head cover gasket is 113 016 02 21. RH is 113 016 03 21. MB’s previous numbers for your application have been superseded. Perhaps in an attempt to help alleviate leaks?! It may behoove you to ensure that your preferred vendor furnishes the updated piece(s).

*Edit*
The PCV breather housings atop the covers are indeed sealed (OE) with RTV silicone. Go easy with those bolts because they thread into aluminum.